Well, it's that time of year again.  Freshmen at Pepperdine University are moving in for the first time, upper classmen are settling in, and everyone is getting back in the swing of adulting. Sometimes moving in can be stressful—especially if you're a new freshman who's never experienced full independence.

Yes, it can be difficult to find places to eat in Malibu when the campus is slightly isolated, but that shouldn't stop you from exploring the amazing restaurants and cafes in the area. This is where we come in; we're here to relieve the stress and pain of scrolling through pages of Yelp reviews and guide you towards what you really want.

1. When you're feeling healthy: SunLife Organics

herb, vegetable
Hannah Cooper

SunLife Organics is the perfect place if you're on a health kick. Whether you're a fan of organic fresh juice, smoothies, açaí bowls, or really healthy food, SunLife is the place for you. The staff is always friendly and the vibes of the shop make you feel like you should be sporting yoga attire and Birkenstocks.

What to Order: Start off with the Brazillian Bowl, it’s the most popular açaí bowl topped with sliced strawberries and bananas, hemp seeds, granola, and coconut. Feelin' raw? Order the Wolverine, a banana based superfood shake jam packed with raw ingredients from almond butter to cacao. 

#SpoonTip: Download their app to order online so you don't have to wait in line.

Location: 3835 Cross Creek Rd, Malibu, CA

2. When your parents are visiting and they're footing the bill: Nobu

salmon, fish, meat, seafood, vegetable, sauce
Photo courtesy of @macremonezi_nutri on Instagram

Nobu is the perfect place to reset your palate after eating too much caf food. Although their sushi is to die for, don't forget to try their fusion dishes that are traditionally served family style. Take your parents when they come to visit for Waves Weekend, and don't forget to make like Drake and eat some crab in Malibu. Who knows, you might even keep up with the Kardashians.

What to Order: Start off your night with Tuna Sashimi Tacos, order a couple of your favorite sushi rolls and end your meal with Chocolate Harumaki—banana and strawberry spring rolls.

Location: 22706 Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu, CA 90265

3. If you want a slice: D'Amore's

pizza, spinach
Photo courtesy of @hydemee on Instagram

D'Amore's is one of the only places that serves and delivers pizza in Malibu. Their pizzas are made to order and you can either get a whole pizza or just a slice. Fun fact, they’re also rated #1 for the healthiest pizza in America.

What to Order: You can’t go wrong with a basic cheese or pepperoni but if you want to branch out, try their signature Pizza Bianco.

Location: 22601 Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu, CA 90265

4. If you're all about breakfast: Ollo

chocolate, cake
Photo courtesy of @hunterbohm on Instagram

Ollo is the perfect spot for a home-cooked breakfast, offering local ingredients with Italian and Mediterranean twists. Their options are endless and they have something for everyone. Vegan? Chia seed pudding is a must. Want something with a Mexican flare? Try the breakfast burrito. No matter your eating style, Ollo will satisfy any morning craving. 

What to Order: The Brussels Sprouts and Pancetta is breakfast with a twist. A mix of healthy and hearty, this veggie, pancetta, egg and quinoa meal will keep you sustained for a class-filled day. 

Location: 23750 Pacific Coast Hwy, Malibu, CA 90265

5. When you're doing it for the "Insta": Malibu Farms

sandwich, bread, meat, lettuce, cheese, vegetable, tomato, salad, spinach
Hannah Cooper

Malibu Farms is the quintessential beachy breakfast cafe only two miles away from campus. Take a stroll to the end of Malibu Pier to the cafe and indulge in a hearty—yet healthy— brunch that will definitely make you feel like you’re at home. If you’re doing it for the "Insta," don’t forget to order an organic fresh squeezed juice. 

What to Order: Start your morning right with the Fried Egg Sandwich and a Carrot-Beet-Orange juice. If you’re thinking about getting a workout in, run down to the pier, eat breakfast and run (or walk) back to campus. We promise, it’s worth it.

Location: 23000 Pacific Coast Hwy, Malibu, CA 90265

6. When you're craving Mexican: Cafe Habana

tacos, black beans, beans, salsa, chicken, burrito
Photo courtesy of @sisternoms on Instagram

Organic Mexican food is definitely a rare find, but here in Malibu there is never a shortage of organic cuisine. Cafe Habana is a family-owned restaurant specializing in Mexican and Cuban dishes. Whether you're looking for classic tacos, Cubanos, or power bowls, you'll always be satisfied with Habana. 

What to Order: One of their most popular appetizers is the Mexican Styled Grilled Corn which comes on the cob with cotija cheese, chili powder and lime. Start with the corn and a side of guac for your endless supply of chips and then move into their Baja-styled fish tacos. 

Location: 3939 Cross Creek Rd, Malibu, CA 90265

7. When you're craving something sweet: Malibu Yogurt

candy, sprinkles, cake, chocolate
Photo courtesy of @kyra_skievaski on Instagram

Malibu Yogurt, or known on campus as 'Bu Yo, is a must when you need a sugar rush. Located in laid back and cozy piazza only two minutes from campus, Malibu Yogurt is a local fav. They offer a wide range of flavors, but each one also comes guilt-free. Many flavors are fat-free, sugar-free, or even dairy-free so post-indulgence will keep you smiling.

What to Order: Their flavors are always changing, but you can never go wrong with their classic Peanut Butter yogurt topped with chopped Reese's cups.

Location: 23755 Malibu Rd #600, Malibu, CA 90265

8. Taco Tuesday, anyone?: Duke's Malibu

tacos, chicken, salsa, beef, pork, chili
Photo courtesy of @Dukesmalibu on Instagram

Every Tuesday, Pepperdine students take over the Barefoot Bar portion of Duke's Malibu for the infamous $4 tacos. From 4 pm until closing, the locals stop by for fresh fish, Kalua pork or Jidori chicken variants of the classic Mexican staple. Who doesn't love cheap food? Especially when it tastes so good.

What to Order: Fish tacos are what they are known for, but Hawaiian food is what they represent. The Kalua pork tacos are a perfect blend of Mexican and Hawaiian cuisine that will keep you coming back every Tuesday for more.

Location: 21150 Pacific Coast Hwy, Malibu, CA 90265

9. If you need to grab lunch under $10 between class: John's Garden

sandwich, turkey, chicken, lettuce
Hannah Cooper

Tired of waiting in line for a sandwich at the caf? Head over to the Country Mart and grab a sandwich from John’s Garden. Their sandwiches are piled high with all of your favorite sandwich stuffers and definitely worth the drive. Don’t worry, if you don’t like sandwiches, John's Garden has a variety of salads, soups, and smoothies to satisfy your hunger. 

What to Order: All of their sandwiches are good, but one of the most popular is the Surfer/Princess. Pick your favorite type of bread and John's Garden will load it up with sliced turkey, avocado, lettuce, tomato, and mayo.  

#SpoonTip: When you order, make sure you say you go to Pepperdine. You’ll get a discount. 

Location: 3835 Cross Creek Rd #1, Malibu, CA 90265

10. If you're looking for an on-the-go breakfast to solve your morning issues: Country Kitchen

water
Photo courtesy of @kaceylynch on Instagram

One of the hidden gems of Malibu is located just off of PCH, an easy drive from campus and on the way to school from Santa Monica. If you're in a hurry to get to class, Country Kitchen is only a phone call away. Just call in your order for the most mouthwatering breakfast burritos you will ever taste, and pick it up on your way to campus.

What to Order: Any of the breakfast burritos will never cease to amaze, but the classic egg, cheese, and homestyle potato burrito is a must.

#SpoonTip: Ask for avocado and their homemade salsa inside your burrito for the ultimate Country Kitchen experience.

Location: 21239 Pacific Coast Hwy, Malibu, CA 90265

11. If you're sick of Starbucks: Cafecito Organico

coffee, espresso, milk, cappuccino, tea, cream
Photo courtesy of @brivisalli on Instagram  

One of the few cafes in Malibu, Cafecito Organico is a quaint cafe located in West Malibu. Planning a beach day at Zuma? Head over to this chic hotspot to step up your coffee game. The milk-foam art makes for great Snapchat stories as well. 

What to Order: If you need a caffeine boost, try the cappuccino. It will be sure to transport your tastebuds to Italy with every sip. All of the pastries are bomb, so don't miss out on the fresh baked goodies to pair with your coffee. 

Location: 29169 Heathercliff Rd, Malibu, CA 90265

12. If you take your fish with a view of the sea: Malibu Seafood

vegetable, tomato, pepper, lettuce, ceviche
Hannah Cooper

When you have a craving for seafood, this should be your first thought. Malibu Seafood is a casual spot known for the best and freshest seafood in the area. After a long day at the beach, this dive is the perfect place to chillax with a plate of fish & chips and friends. Who cares if you’re still in a swimsuit or you have beach hair. I guarantee you’ll see other beach-goers with the same game plan as you.  

What to Order: Fish and Chips are one of the most popular menu items, but if you aren't down for fried food, try their Fish Tacos. 

Location: 25653 Pacific Coast Hwy, Malibu, CA

13. When you're craving Thai: Cholada Thai Beach Cuisine

chicken, rice
Photo courtesy of @ErikaBachelor on Instagram

If you're having one of those days and need some comfort food, head south to Cholada. Their large portions, flavorful dishes and good company are bound to put you back in a good mood. Their menu is ginormous, so there is definitely something for everyone. Pad Thai is a big hit at Cholada along with the traditional Thai Green Curry. If your eyes are bigger than your stomach, go with friends and split a meal.

What to Order: If you're hungry, order the Pad Thai. The plate comes piled high with noodles coated in a traditional sauce, your choice of meat, bean sprouts and crushed peanuts. Warning: you may have a food baby post-meal.

Location: 18763 Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu, CA 90265

14. If you have a Tinder date: Tramonto

salad, spinach, kale
Photo courtesy of @molly.g.brown on Instagram

If you want intimacy, then Tramonto is the place to go. Located on PCH, you would think that the hustle and bustle of beach-goer traffic would be the opposite of romantic, but enter into this Italian grotto of a restaurant and your mind will be changed. The serene porch, candlelit tables and divine cuisine will make you feel like you're on a Roman holiday.

What to Order: Tramonto specializes in their gnocchi bar, so anyone of these dishes will be sure to satisfy. Don't forget to order the Tiramisu to end the night on a sweet note.

Location: 22235 Pacific Coast Hwy, Malibu, CA 90265

15. When you need a midnight snack: Jack in the Box

bun, sandwich, bread, tomato, lettuce, hamburger, cheese, meat, ketchup, mayonnaise, cheddar, beef, bacon
Photo courtesy of @dailyfoodfeed on Instagram

We will admit, this may not be the most glamorous spot in Malibu, but it gets the job done when there is nothing open after 10 pm. Jack in Box aka "JBo" will be visited by every Pepperdine student at least once during their college career. It's no Nobu, but those Oreo milkshakes will keep your midnight cravings at bay.

What to Order: The Munchie Meal is the way to go, especially paired with churros and an Oreo milkshake.

#SpoonTip: We suggest not counting calories at this fast food joint; in fact, just pretend you never even went.

Location: 23017 Pacific Coast Hwy, Malibu, CA 90265