Authentic, American food with a twist is what The Owl House is all about. Serving lunch and dinner on the weekdays, and adding brunch on the weekends, they never fail to bring in the masses of Rochesterians. They are best known for their vegan and gluten-free options (their gluten-free bread is out of this world), as almost every dish can be made to accommodate any lifestyle. That being said, meat eaters won’t have anything to worry about. From steak, burgers, sandwich, salads, to a nice mixed drink, you will be pleased with whatever you order.

Photo by Rebecca Block

For all of you Rochester students staying the summer, take an adventure to the city, as The Owl House is tucked just inside the corner of Marshall Street and Monroe Avenue. Right across from it is Abundance Co-op, a local foods store, in-case you were inspired so much after your meal here to get more local food.

We came here on Mother’s Day evening, and the waitress was very welcoming. She led us upstairs, while on our way, we passed works of local art that decorated the walls. For a restaurant that used to be a house, they did an amazing job making it work. The bar is located right as you walk in, allowing for customers who are waiting to enjoy a drink while passing the time. Downstairs there are booths along the wall, but upstairs accommodates most of the seating. During the warmer weathers, they open their outdoor seating in the back (perfect for a romantic dinner) with the streams of lights and a candle on each table.

We started off with drinks to beat off the summer heat Rochester has been having. The Earl Grey iced tea was so refreshing and light with the hint of lemon.

Photo by Rebecca Block

Their iced chai tea is brewed in-house with cardamom, the perfect pick me up.

Photo by Rebecca Block

Pineapple tofu with coconut sweet pea risotto, grilled asparagus, and candied meyer lemon.

Photo by Rebecca Block

Saladboy with shredded kale & Brussels sprouts with lemon vinaigrette, horseradish aioli, cashews, and grilled chicken.

Photo by Rebecca Block

Peas & carrots salad with arugula, English peas, pickled red onions, chevre, roasted carrot vinaigrette, and grilled steak.

Photo by Rebecca Block

For the last and most important course, we shared this slice of chocolate raspberry cake. Their dessert selection is always vegan, so you won’t feel guilty while indulging here.

Photo by Rebecca Block

On the weekends, their brunch menu highlights are: Chicken and waffles, pork belly benedict, vegan biscuits and gravy, and breakfast sandwiches and scrambles. Don’t forget the mimosas.

Overall, the Owl House is the best place to bring any kind of eater, and they will leave pleased no matter what. Usual dishes run from $10-23 so it can be a bit pricey on the college budget, though the brunch and lunch pricing is more affordable. We recommend Owl House for a good brunch, lunch, or special dinner, and as a great spot to bring your friends who are picky eaters.

Rating: ⅘ – Great food, could have more variety and cheaper prices

Need more food in Rochester?

The Soup Spoon
Where to Dine on the Orange Line
Atlas Eats
Veneto