Chef John Minas has served as chef for Florida’s First Family for the last four years, but has moved on to fill a gap in the Tallahassee restaurant industry. His goal is to create a place that takes inspiration from around the world, producing global food that everyone can enjoy.

As a Massachusetts native with an Armenian and Assyrian background, as well as a New York City culinary education, Minas is the perfect chef to tackle this goal. His primary focus is to make people happy, and deliver the best food possible.

Edison

Courtesy of Sarah Breckler

The Edison menu offers a wide variety of options. “We have affordable [meals], expensive steak and wine, it’s all across the board.” With the restaurant featuring a main dining area, outdoor seating, a café downstairs, and an outdoor beer garden to showcase craft beers, they really do cater to everyone.

Minas played a big role in the creation of the cuisine, using his knowledge of other cultures and even incorporating some of his mom’s recipes.

Edison

Courtesy of Sarah Breckler

Founder Ryan Grindler shared that The Edison’s food is international. “There are dishes from the Mediterranean, the Northeast, the South… even a little bit of Spanish and Italian. The menu is substantial and it will expand.

We even plan to change it a few times a year.” With Minas’ belief in teamwork, meals created by some of The Edison cooks will be featured as well.

Edison

Photo Courtesy of The Edison

Located in an old power plant, The Edison’s unique space was once a building that provided gas and coal for the people of Tallahassee back in 1921. Three years ago the building was declared a Tallahassee Leon County historic site.

Edison

Photo by Courtney Merolle

Grindler shared how they worked hard to keep the integrity of the building and the incredible design highlights this. He went on to explain that the name of the restaurant incorporates history, “we’re in an old historic power plant, and Thomas Edison was a wizard of invention who created the light bulb, so it all just came together.”

Grindler believes the incredible view is one of the reasons their brunch is the most unique in Tallahassee. “I can’t think of anything better than staring out at those fountains with a great cup of coffee and some fantastic food.” Featuring live music, The Edison is a great option for your weekend brunch.

Edison

Photo courtesy of The Edison

Their Picnics To Go service also makes use of the surrounding park. Allowing you to order sandwiches, salads, smoothies, and Catalina Café Coffee, it will be ready for pickup in a picnic basket at their service window. With other options such as delivery, catering, and complimentary valet parking when you dine in, they seem to have thought of everything.

Edison

Photo courtesy of The Edison

The Edison has been four years in the making, and has taken a lot of design and planning. With a unique menu concept and a massive space, The Edison is here to provide the Tallahassee Community with something we have never seen before. Customer reviews have been positive, a tough feat in the highly competitive restaurant industry. And according to Minos, “we’re only getting better and better.”