Starting from east to west there are numerous must-eats across the Great North. Canada is known for fresh seafood, smoked meat, poutine, and of course, Timbits. After asking other Spoon members in Montreal, Toronto, and Calgary—here are 50 of the best things to eat in Canada before you die. Well worth a road trip. 

1.  Lobster

A must-eat while in the Maritimes is a classic boiled lobster with butter. This simplistic, fresh delicacy is hard to beat when dining at Cabot Links in Cape Breton—which offers an ocean view.  

2. Raymond's

Rated as one of the top 50 restaurants in the world, this high end restaurant is one of a kind with expert chef menus in St. John's, Newfoundland. 

3. A Classic Newfie Meal from Chafe's Landing

Stroll a few blocks away from Raymond's and you'll be at Chafe's Landing. Enjoy classic Newfoundland pub food, fresh seafood and great atmosphere. 

#SpoonTip: Continue your St. John's experience with a night out on George St

4. P.E.I. Mussels

Enjoy fresh mussels and other speciality seafood dishes in downtown Charlottetown at Claddagh Oyster House. Mussels are a simplistic east coast speciality. 

4. Oysters

Stop into almost any restaurant in the Maritimes for a great appetizer. Each restaurant has its own way to serve this shellfish. Hit stops in Halifax are Shuck Seafood and Raw Bar and Lot Six

5. Edna

Voted best restaurant in Halifax by locals, and the best brunch in the city, Edna is a must for anyone visiting Hali. The menu is always changing,  won't disappoint. The brunch eggs benny is mouthwatering. And if you're really hungry, tackle the breakfast burger. 

6. Donair

Halifax is known for their donairs. Stumble to pizza corner after a late night in downtown Halifax for a donair which consists of spiced ground beef and sweet donair sauce stuffed into a warm pita. Stop into any corner, or late night food restaurant to try the city's specialty. If you're feeling adventurous, try a donair pizza or a pounair (poutine donair). 

7. Crêpe

Le Casse Crepe Breton located in Quebec City and is always packed with a line out the door. Watch the chefs prepare a savoury, or sweet crepes, right in front of you in a historical building. 

8. Tourtiere and Sugar Pie

These two pies are a traditional Quebec speciality. Restaurant Aux Anciens Canadiens is known for these traditional dishes in the heart of a historical city. Tourtiere is a traditional meat pie, while sugar pie is a sweet dessert made with maple syrup.

9. Maple Taffy and Snow

Celebrate the largest maple syrup distributor (Quebec) with hot maple syrup rolled in snow. It may sound odd but is a perfect treat when strolling around the Mont Tremblant Ski Village

10. Poutine

Gibeau Orange Julep in Montreal is THE place to taste a Canadian, drunk food speciality. The giant orange has perfected the gravy, cheese, and fries concoction. While you're there, make sure to try the speciality drink that tastes like an orange creamsicle. Not in Montreal? Don't worry, Canadians have crafted the classic poutine across the country with unique twists like pulled pork or stuffing add-ins. 

11. Montreal Bagel at St. Viateur

St. Viateur Bagel has been making the same famous bagel for almost 50 years. They're obviously doing something right. 

12. Schwartz's Deli Montreal Smoked Meat

This Montreal classic has been in business for over 80 years. The line is definitely worth the wait. The classic Montreal smoked meat sandwich with black cherry provides a traditional Montreal experience. 

13. French Onion Soup from Ty-breiz

Ty-breiz does this French classic right. The traditional restaurant offers all kinds of French cuisine, plus a huge assortment of crepes. But it's all about the soup. 

14. Breakfast at Beauty's Luncheonette

Ask any Montreal native for a classic diner breakfast and they will tell you Beauty's. Order the special, which is a bagel with lox, cream cheese, tomatoes, and onions—plus a milkshake for the full experience. 

15. Doughnuts from Suzy Q

This gourmet doughnut shop is easy to pass by, but definitely worth the stop. Go for classic Cinnamon Brown Sugar or try one of their unique flavours like Mango Lassi.

16. Tacos from El Camino

Try an assortment of tacos and endless cocktails at this Ottawa favourite. 

17. Beavertail

A classic Canadian childhood memory is skating the canal and ending the day with a sugary, deep fried dessert. Skate right up to the Beavertail shack for a classic cinnamon sugar or the Triple Trip with chocolate hazelnut, Reese's Pieces, and peanut butter. 

18. Woodfire Pizza from Woodenheads

Be sure to stop into Woodenheads right in downtown Kingston, Ontario. This local favourite offers tons of different woodier pizza options and is always busy. 

19. Brunch at Pan Chancho

The brunch at Pan Chancho in Kingston, Ontario is one like no other. Try the classics like The Weekender: a house-made croissant with bacon, egg, and homemade chilli sauce or the breakfast poutine. On your way out be sure to browse through the cafe for fresh bread and other pastries. 

20. Brunch at The Drake Devonshire

The Drake Devonshire is a boutique hotel in Prince Edward County with a phenomenal waterfront restaurant. Spend a summer morning dining with a caesar and eggs benny before hitting the beach

21. Kawartha Dairy Ice Cream

Kawartha Dairy is a 100% Canadian ice cream company with some killer flavours. The main store is in Huntsville, Ontario and is the perfect place to stock up before the cottage. Make sure to try  Moose Tracks (vanilla ice cream with peanut butter cups and fudge swirl), or Bear Claw (chocolate ice cream with caramel and chocolate cashews). 

22. Dinner at Buca 

Located in Toronto, Buca has nothing but amazing reviews. Rated as one of the top 100 restaurants in Canada, the Italian restaurant is one of a kind and uses ingredients like white truffle, amazing cheeses, and all types of game. 

23. Pasta from Terroni

Terroni is another go-to Toronto Italian restaurants with locations all over the city. You can't go wrong with the pasta or pizza dishes. 

24. Canadian Bacon at the St. Lawerence Market

The St. Lawrence Market is your one stop shop for amazing prepared food, produce, meat, crafts from local artists, and a glimpse into the diverse culture of Toronto. The Carousel Bakery is famous for its simplistic pea meal bacon sandwiches to enjoy while touring around. 

25. Soft Serve at Sweet Jesus

Sweet Jesus is a soft serve ice cream shop with every topping imaginable. The heavily packed, twirling cones can be found all across Toronto but the original location is on Queen Street East right beside another great restaurant, La Carnita

26. Cake Truffles from Momofuku Milk Bar

Try the b'day truffles, or the compost cookies with pretzels, chips, coffee, oats, graham crackers, butterscotch, and chocolate chips for taste like no other. 

27. Sandwich from Banh Mi Boys

bun, meat, carrot, sandwich, salad, vegetable, lettuce
Emma Lawrence

Banh Mi Boys in downtown Toronto features mouthwatering asian fusion sandwiches you can't resist. 

28. Brunch at School

Enjoy one of many sky-high stacks of pancakes with awesome toppings for weekend brunch or breakfast, any day of the week. 

29. Waffles at The Starving Artist 

Craving waffles? This is the place try. Nothing sounds better than eggs benny and waffles combined—which is just one of the many options.

30. Hotdog at a Jay's Game

Enjoy a baseball game classic and emerge yourself in the great atmosphere at the Rogers Centre, home to Canada's only MLB baseball team. 

31. Burger From Webber's

A drive to Muskoka isn't complete without a stop at Webber's Charcoal Barbecue. The line is well worth the wait for a simple, quality burger. 

32. Deep Fried Specialities at the Calgary Stampede

The Calgary Stampede is an annual summer event that entails concerts, rodeos, food, and lots of drinking. Concessions offer never-been-heard-of deep-fried creations like the PBO Stack (2 Oreos and a reese's pieces cup, dipped in batter and deep-fried), and even deep-fried tequila to enjoy while the visitors and the entire city celebrate. 

33. Pizza at Una Pizza 

Woodfire pizza is hard to beat, and UNA knows how to perfect it. 

34. Drunk Eats at Singapore Sams

End a night in downtown Calgary at Singapore Sams. Dance on the tables and clang chopsticks for drunk food with friends. 

35. Breakfast Poutine at OEB

Breakfast poutine is just one of the endless breakfast options at OEB. Stop in for big brunch feast with the breakfast poutine, French toast or one of their Box'd specialities. 

36. Bowl at Our Daily Brett

chicken, pepper
Catherine Van Helden

This Calgary hotspot has healthy, delicious bowls and salads, made with local ingredients. 

37. Dinner at Anejo

Anjeo is a great Mexican restaurant and tequila bar in Calgary. Enjoy quality tacos and creative cocktails. Don't miss out on their "halfy hour" everyday from 3-5pm where all tacos are half off and margaritas are a steal at only $5.

38. Steak from Caesar's Steakhouse

This upscale steakhouse is a treat in downtown Calgary. It has been open for over 30 years and serves on of a kind steak options. They also have a second location in southeast Calgary.

39. Dinner at Crazy Weed Cafe

This great restaurant is a must when in Canmore. Have a unique meal and enjoy the town, which offers tons of outdoor activity options.

40. Fondue at Grizzly House

Visit one of the greatest tourist destinations in Canada: Banff. Go to Lake Louise and walk the town before a fun and interactive fondue dinner and dessert at The Grizzly House

41. Greek Food From Tony's

Located in Invermere, BC, this small diner specializes in authentic Greek Food. A staple for people coming off the mountain, or looking for a good lunch at the cottage. 

42. Hotdog From Japadog

Vancouver, like many major Canadian cities, is into creative street food. This company mixes a classic with Japanese flavours for something unique that represents Vancouver's culture. The Terimayo is the signature dog with teriyaki sauce, mayo, and seaweed bits. 

43. Checkmate Caesar From Score on Davie

Score on Davie in Vancouver not only has great pub grub, but also masters out-of-this-world caesars. The Checkmate is meant for sharing, and is topped with roasted chicken, Score burger, pulled pork slider, onion rings, chicken wings, pulled pork and mac and cheese hot dog AND a brownie to finish it off. Wow.

44. Sushi at Miku

Miku has mastered Aburi sushi which is partially grilled but still somewhat raw. It features sushi favourites and new twists with fresh west coast seafood. 

45. Fresh Fish From Red Fish Blue Fish

Enjoy what the west coast has to offer with fresh fish from Red Fish Blue Fish

46. Pastry From Fol Epi

A coffee and pastry from Fol Epi or dinner at the sister restaurant, Agrius are a must when in Victoria. The restaurants focus local and seasonal ingredients. 

47. Bin 4 Burgers

Nothing beats a good burger. Hit up one of the best in Victoria at Bin 4 Burgers

48. Fish Tacos from Tacofino

Enjoy fresh fish tacos on the coast of BC in Tofino. The relaxed food truck allows you to enjoy the delicious food and also take in the beautiful area. 

49. Nanaimo Bar from Bocca's Cafe

Try a mouthwatering Canadian invention in the town they were created in.

50. Timbits

These simple, doughy delights can be found all across the country and in all sorts of flavours. Enjoy a 10 pack, a coffee, and watch a hockey game for a true Tim Hortons commercial experience. 

Want more? Check out these Places:

13 Canadian Foods to get Used to If You Are Planning to Escape a Trump Presidency

5 Must-Try Boston Restaurants to Sample Over Winter Break