The Nation’s Capital has become quite the foodie city. You can find cuisines from all over the world – Indian, Lebanese, Greek, Thai, and Ethiopian, just to name a few. The ethnic gems of the area boast talented chefs and intriguing combinations. But when it comes to Neapolitan pizza, the Italians consistently craft the best pie.

In order for a pizza to be considered an authentic Italian Neapolitan pizza, it must be officially certified by the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana. The pizza must meet very specific requirements, such as hand stretched dough with type 0 or 00 wheat flour, imported San Marzano tomatoes and mozzarella di Bufala (made from the milk of a water buffalo). Here are some of the best in the District.

Pupatella

neapolitan pizza

Photo by Sophia Gribbs

This Arlington pizza joint serves the best Neapolitan pizza I’ve ever had, hands down. I recommend the Margherita Doc, a simple yet perfect combination of buffalo mozzarella, basil, and olive oil. The crust is chewy and light, the cheese creamy and the basil plentiful. Pupatella cooks their pizza for exactly one minute in an oak wood oven.

2Amy’s

neapolitan pizza

Photo courtesy of 2Amy’s

Many DC foodie lists rank 2Amy’s as the DC’s top pie – and for good reason. The pizzeria prides itself on its D.O.C. status (Denominazione di Origine Controllata), ensuring the ingredients and preparation of the Neapolitan pizza are legal by Italian standards. Get your greens in by ordering the Santa Brigida, which is topped with arugula.

Pizzeria Paradiso

neapolitan pizza

Photo by Sophia Gribbs

Pizzeria Paradiso, located on Georgetown’s bustling M Street, has character that reflects both Italy and Washington D.C. Hit the bar downstairs to find an impressive beer list and advice as to which pairs best with the flavorful pizzas. Chef Ruth Gresser has even written a book on how to make pizza at home.

Pizzeria Orso

neapolitan pizza

Photo by Dave Konstantin

A favorite Falls Church neighborhood joint, Pizzeria Orso is the ideal family pizzeria. They import their flour, tomatoes and cheese from Italy. The high-quality ingredients create an authenticity in every bite. Pizzeria Orso also offers creative specials such as an Apple Soppressatta, Shrimp and Fresno and a breakfast pizza.

Il Canale

neapolitan pizza

Photo courtesy of dineanddrinkdc

A favorite Georgetown restaurant, Il Canale is the perfect date night spot. Their Neapolitan pizzas are perfectly crusty, complemented with a robust sauce. Guests can sit on the restaurant’s roof deck for more of a quiet evening – the restaurant can get quite busy and bustling.

Menomale

neapolitan pizza

Photo by Scott Suchman

Menomale’s Neapolitan pizzas have been compared to tasting just as good as pizzas made in Naples, Italy. Using only the highest quality ingredients, the restaurant crafts a wide variety of excellent pizzas, pastas and calzones. The quaint interior is reminiscent of charming Italian restaurants and their extensive wine list is sure to impress.