Burlington, Vermont is home to delectable combinations of bagels and schmears, so I decided to head out into the world of bagels to find the best of the best in Burlington (and South Burlington). Here is my list of the best bagel combos in the city.

The Bagel PlaceAsiago Cheese with Olive Pimento Cream Cheese, $3

burlington

Photo by Jennifer Nigro

The asiago cheese bagel is the most popular bagel at The Bagel Place, and there’s a good reason why. The bagel is packed with flavor, starting with the cheese. It’s crisp and crunchy on the outside and soft and fresh on the inside.

The olive pimento cream cheese is a great complement. The saltiness of the olives and mild sweetness of the pimento combines perfectly with the sharpness of the Asiago cheese.

Honorable Mention: Marzipan Bagel, $3

This bagel is only available on Fridays and Saturdays, but if you’re a fan of this delicious almond paste, you’ll love this stuffed bagel.

Feldman’s BagelsEverything Bagel with Lox, Bacon Scallion Horseradish Cream Cheese, Tomato, Red Onion, and Capers, $7.50 (add avocado for $0.75)

burlington

Photo by Jennifer Nigro

The everything bagel at Feldman’s has a touch of salt that really brings everything together. It has the perfect balance of ingredients and flavors, and it stays together instead of sliding around.

Honorable Mention: Bialy with Pesto Cream Cheese, $2.95

Unlike bagels, bialys aren’t boiled before they are baked, and instead of a hole, they have a depression filled with onion, garlic, and poppy seeds. The pesto cream cheese pairs perfectly with the flavors and texture of the bialy.

Myer’s BagelsMaple Bagel with Cinnamon Honey Cream Cheese, $2.49

burlington

Photo by Jennifer Nigro

This bagel may not look like much, but the flavors are incredible. Myer’s specializes in Montreal-style bagels, which are thin with a large hole, boiled in water sweetened with honey, and baked in a wood-fired oven.

This combo combines the simplistic perfection of maple syrup with the heated allure of cinnamon and honey. It is a delight for anyone with a sweet tooth.

Honorable Mention: Montreal Spice Bagel with Euro Butter and Sea Salt, $2.49

The Montreal spice bagel is Myer’s most popular, with its savory incorporation of Montreal steak seasoning. The Euro butter with sea salt (unsalted Cabot butter with coarse sea salt added in) accented the bagel’s flavor without overpowering it, and the crunch of the sea salt was an excellent addition.

Burlington Bagel BakeryVermont Country Bagel with Lox and Cream Cheese, $6

burlington

Photo by Jennifer Nigro

The Vermont Country Bagel features poppy, sesame, flax, fennel, and salt. The fennel, which is a seed often used to flavor Italian sausage, is really a game-changer here. It adds a unique and aromatic aspect to the smoky and mild pairing of the lox and cream cheese. Once you try this bagel, you’ll be hooked.

Honorable Mention: Cinnamon Sugar Bagel with Maple Walnut Cream Cheese, $3

If you’re in the mood for a sweeter breakfast, try this combo. The maple walnut cream cheese in particular is sure to become one of your favorites.