Mornings are objectively the worst time of day. Luckily, these local fixes have breakfasts that’ll make your day a little more tolerable.

1. Scrambled Eggs on Toast with Asparagus from Press

Breakfast

Photo by Megan Wylie

Not only is Press Cafe gorgeous, but their all-day breakfast menu is to die for. If you can get past the enormous scones, order the scrambled eggs on toast with asparagus. The eggs are great, the asparagus is cooked to perfection and the fresh bread and marmalade will make your day.

#SpoonTip: Ask for cheese on your eggs for a finishing touch.

2. Smoothie Bowl from Filament Coffee

Breakfast

Photo by Megan Wylie

Filament is a local gem. The intimate cafe provides a cozy setting with great coffee and delicious food. The smoothie bowl is a quick and healthy breakfast that you won’t feel bad about. Made fresh, this smoothie is topped off with crunchy granola and honeycomb, which makes for a bowl that looks as good as it tastes. If you’re still craving a fruity breakfast, check out this smoothie bowl you can make at home.

3. Açaí Bowl from Hula Juice Bar & Gallery

Breakfast

Photo courtesy of @eatinburgh on Instagram

This açaí bowl, like the smoothie bowl above, is not only tasty, but it’s guiltless, too. Hula is known for its variety of colorful organic smoothies and this dish does not disappoint. Made from Amazonian açaí and covered with fresh fruit, coconut shavings, granola, goji berries and cacao nibs, this bowl is a great source of natural energy that’ll leave you feeling great all day. If you’re not convinced, you can brush up on your superfood knowledge here.

4. Vegan Waffles from Moon & Hare

Breakfast

Moon & Hare serves up food so good, you can’t even tell that everything is vegan AND gluten-free. These waffles taste just like the normal ones you’re used to, except they’re even lighter and fluffier. Be sure to pair it with a matcha latte or a fresh beetroot juice for the perfect meal.

5. Frukostbricka from Peter’s Yard

Breakfast

Photo by Megan Wylie

Despite the fact that I can’t pronounce the name at all, this traditional Swedish breakfast board is a balanced mix of everything you could ever want. Available in sweet and savoury, the board comes with a yogurt parfait, fresh squeezed orange, fruit salad, rocket, homemade rye bread and crisps, sharp cheddar and either parma ham or berry compote. The ‘bricka’ has the perfect portion sizes and comes on an adorable tray.

6. Eggs Benedict with Smoked Salmon from Montpelier’s

Breakfast

Photo courtesy of @hellowildbrunch on Instagram

Montpelier’s is famous for their incredible brunch staples, as well as their gorgeous plates. The poached eggs are cooked to perfection, paired with Scottish smoked salmon and then doused in a creamy homemade hollandaise sauce. This classic dish has all the makings of a guilty pleasure to make any morning better. In case you don’t have time to go out, try this similar recipe with Sriracha.

7. Fresh Baked Scones from Cobbs

Breakfast

Photo courtesy of @spiralclarity on Instagram

When you’re in the mood for something quick, run over to Cobbs in Marchmont and pick up some of their notably delectable scones. Baked fresh, their scones have a perfectly crisp exterior and a buttery interior that makes for a rich and quick fix. Be sure to pair it with clotted cream and jam for the perfect Scottish treat.

8. Toasted Waffles with Bacon from Spoon

Breakfast

Photo courtesy of @fudforthought on Instagram

Spoon is the classic Edinburgh breakfast spot, as it’s the perfect place to spend your Sunday or catch up on some studying. The toasted waffles topped with blueberries and bacon are perfectly fluffy, and you can make them even better by smothering them in syrup. It’s the perfect pairing to any study day — and it makes getting syrup all over your books worth it.