One of the most well-known sights in Rome is the Trevi Fountain. It’s probably one of the most famous fountains in the world. I mean, it's where Lizzie McGuire was mistaken for an Italian pop star and handed a huge wheel of cheese. How much more iconic can a place get?

In 2016 alone, $1.5 million in coins were thrown in when visitors came to make their wishes. And it’s almost as hard to find a spot to take the perfect picture as it is to find the perfect place to eat. In a sea of touristy restaurants, I’ve narrowed down the five best restaurants near Trevi Fountain so you can make sure every meal you eat in Rome is worth it. These are places I frequented while studying in Rome that I'd recommend to anyone visiting this gorgeous city. 

1. Piccolo Buco

First on the list is Piccolo Buco. People swear by this pizza. Not only is it rated #258 of nearly 10,000 restaurants in Rome on Trip Advisor, but it’s also probably the best food you will find around the iconic fountain. They make an effort to source the best ingredients possible that translate into a top-quality meal. Be sure to make a reservation, though, as it's pretty much always packed. 

#SpoonTip: Piccolo Buco is also closed on Mondays, so plan accordingly. 

2. Pane e Salame

Pane e Salame is not only one of the best restaurants near the Trevi Fountain, but it’s also probably one of the best restaurants in Rome, period. The name means “bread and salami” in Italian, and they're most well-known for their sandwiches and “taglieri,” which is essentially a charcuterie board loaded with the best meats and cheeses Italy has to offer. This place is a sure stand-out, and if you appreciate good food you won't be disappointed.

3. Il Gelato di San Crispino

This gelateria is one of the best places to find gelato in Rome, and luckily for you, it’s steps away from La Fontana di Trevi. They serve some of the highest quality gelato that Rome has to offer, and have mastered of the art of gelato by using the freshest ingredients and the best production methods. 

4. Ginger Sapori e Salute

This trendy restaurant is right by the fountain, and is also one of the best places to eat in Rome when you’re sick of Italian food. They offer smoothies, açaí bowls and cold-pressed juices in addition to salads and sandwiches. This was one of my favorite finds in Rome because of the variety on the menu, and the restaurant itself is also totally Insta-worthy.

5. Trattoria Al Moro

Last but not least, we have Trattoria Al Moro. When a restaurant is filled with locals as opposed to tourists, you know it'll be good. And that’s just the case at Al Moro. They get their ingredients from local markets and even have outdoor seating. Though not completely outrageous, this restaurant is probably the most expensive on this list, so just be prepared.

It can be hard to find an authentic meal near the heart of one of the world’s top tourist attractions. Don’t be fooled by the dozens of restaurants hoping to make a quick buck on foreigners and stick to these five restaurants near the Trevi Fountain.