Ramen. When most college students hear this word, they think of those prepackaged instant noodles that are like $1 (no shame about consuming these treats). However, the ramen we're gonna talk about is the real stuff: Japanese noodles in a delicious broth with delectable toppings from meat to vegetables to everything in between. Here are the 15 best ramen in Los Angeles.

1.) Daikokuya

On top of the list is Daikokuya, which is perhaps the most famous and popular ramen shops in L.A., and for good reason. With a broth that is not too oily, melt-in-the-mouth meat and a soft boiled egg, it's a filling, satisfying and perfect dish that's got lines stretching out the door. So be prepared to wait to get a taste of this quintessential L.A. eatery.

2.) Shin-Sen-Gumi

Another popular restaurant, Shin-Sen-Gumi offers the "classic" ramen experience while also giving diners the option to customize their dinners. There are tons of add-ons that you can order from such as garlic chips and even an Italian-based flavor combination of tomato basil paste and mozzarella. Perfect for the adventurer.

3.) Silverlake Ramen

Opened in 2012, Silverlake Ramen has become a sensation in recent years. Trust me, being from L.A., all my friends are now posting photos of their Silverlake Ramen. With a butter broth that's boiled for 16 hours, it's renowned for having a rich, deep flavor unlike any other.

4.) R101 Ramen

It's easy to overlook R101 Ramen. It's located along a strip mall near the busy intersection of Colorado and Central leading to the famous Americana. However, for those that are familiar with this hidden gem, they are very loyal customers. You pay a set price and then load up on as many toppings as you want. The spicy broth, Spicy Tonkotsu Ramen, is particularly loved

5.) Ramen Hood

It's trendy, it's quirky and it's located in the infamous Grand Central Market: Ramen Hood. It is unique in a way that its ramen is vegetarian and vegan-friendly. The heartiness of the dish will make even the most avid meat eater content.

6.) The Tsujita 

Although it's on the pricier side, $15/bowl, Tsujita is certainly worth the hype and cost. Their tsukemen noodles are different from most ramen shops because you're given cold noodles to dip into the broth yourself.  Here, you control the texture of the noodles or eat them as served. Come if you want a lively atmosphere and unique experience.

7.) Ramen Tatsunoya

Tatsunoya is a chain that comes straight from Japan. When you enter its first U.S. location in Pasadena, you're sure to have some authentic ramen. With broth infused with bone marrow, it's not a place to take your vegetarian friends, but it is the place to go if you're craving some meaty, garlicky ramen.

8.) Santouka

You know the ramen that you see in the commercials with the swirly pink fish paste? That's Santouka for you. It's in a food court, so there are no bells and whistles to the shio ramen (salt flavored), and there are none needed. Santouka does ramen right, the simple way.

9.) Tatsu Ramen

With a chicken-based broth, gluten-free noodles and a vegan alternative, Tatsu Ramen is a ramen spot for the L.A. foodie. It has healthier options than other spots, but that doesn't make it any less delicious. The bold, spicy broth packs a robust flavor profile for a reasonable price.

10.) Slurpin' Ramen Bar

Slurpin' Ramen Bar has one of the coolest names and one of the best deals with bowls starting at $7. It comes with fatty pork, green onion, garlic, seaweed, oil and your choice of meat. An egg costs $1 extra, but it's honestly worth it. It's inexpensive and you won't feel guilty.

11.) Modan Eagle Rock Ramen

Don't let the fact that Modan isn't a well known place be the reason you don't try it out. There are 4 different broths to choose from, but the Modan is a fan favorite. Modan is a traditional tonkotsu base, with truffle oil to give it a twist you can't find elsewhere.

12.) Yamadaya

Umami, pork and some of the best side orders like shu mai, salads, and rice bowls are some of the tasty foods you can get at Yamadaya. The workers spend 20 hours cultivating its broth so you know that everything you get from here is going to be top-notch. 

13.) Jinya Ramen Bar

Good news! Jinya has locations across the country, so you can have their "bomb" spicy ramen literally anywhere you go. With handmade noodles served with a poached egg, it's a chain store that's anything but ordinary.

14.) Men Oh Tokushima Ramen

Men, oh, men. Men Oh Tokushima Ramen has some quality ramen that tastes as if you were eating in Japan. Unlike a lot of places, the broth isn't salty in the slightest; it's rich without being excessive. Plus, the noodles are the perfect consistency and texture for slurping, so it's fun when you're at Men Oh.

15.) Ramen of York

To finish up the best ramen places in Los Angeles, I present to you Ramen of York. Located in one of my favorite places, Highland Park, it's got a low-key vibe that'll make you feel like you are part of the community. It's the cooler sister joint of Silverlake Ramen. There are other items on the menu you can't find at the parent company like pork belly buns and sushi rolls.

So there you have it, folks. 15 of the best ramen places in Los Angeles. Be sure to give a couple a try, or maybe all 15. I won't judge.