In a city like LA, it’s not hard to find vegan options when going out, whether it be a meatless version of your favorite comfort food or a nutrient-packed macro bowl for a balanced meal. Either way, these 10 vegan dishes prove that vegans know how to eat, without sacrificing taste for lack of meat.  

1. Hummus and Falafel Plate from Dune

Regardless of whether you’re vegan or not, Dune’s falafel is a definite must-try. The hummus and falafel plate is a beautiful spread that includes house flat bread, house pickles, olives, marinated cabbage and onions, along with seasonal greens.

Just looking at it will get you excited to dig into all the different colors, textures, and flavors in front of you. Bonus: Dune’s falafel was listed on LA Weekly’s 10 Best Falafel in LA last year (as if you needed another reason to go). 

Location: 3143 Glendale Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90039

2. Barbacoa Burrito from Organix

A photo posted by Sierra Burton (@sielburt) on

A health food marketplace similar to Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s, Organix carries organic specialty products, but the real goods are where the in-store vegan deli is.

The Barbacoa Burrito uses marinated, slow-cooked jackfruit for that pull-apart texture of barbacoa beef. The jackfruit is dense, hearty, and a bit spicy—perfectly balanced out by the avocado, crema, pico de gallo, beans, and Spanish rice.

Vegans rejoice and meat-eaters marvel, because this burrito leaves you feeling satisfied and amazed by the jackfruit wonders performed by the Organix deli.

#SpoonTip: If you’re feeling extra indulgent, ask for a Quesacoa— a Barbacoa Burrito wrapped in a vegan quesadilla. Life. Changing.

Location: 1731 Colorado Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90041

3. Enchilada Pie from Stuff I Eat

If you’re in the mood for some soul food, Stuff I Eat is the place to go. Proving that any food can be turned vegan, Stuff I Eat serves hearty and home-y dishes that anyone can indulge in.

The Enchilada Pie is something that I would consider a work of art, with layers of enchilada fillings, sauce, and guac topping a bed of tortillas and tortilla chips.

The restaurant is aware of their generous serving sizes and implements a “No Waste” policy, ensuring that you bring your leftovers home to reduce waste (and to make sure you have a nice midnight snack for later). 

Location: 114 N Market St. Inglewood, CA 90301

4. Quinoa Taco Salad from by Chloe

With the crunch from the tortilla strips, the sweetness from the lime-agave vinaigrette, and spice from the soy chorizo—this bowl delivers on flavor, texture, and presentation. This is one of those foods that isn’t “good for being vegan,” it’s just good. Do yourself a favor and order a side of the mac n’ cheese while you're there too. You'll thank me later. 

Location: 2520 Glendale Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90039

5. Green Curry from The Vegan Joint

soup, vegetable, broth
Madeline Craddock

Whether you’re in the mood for breakfast food, burgers, noodles, burritos, or curry, The Vegan Joint has got you covered. The array of options on the menu might seem a bit random at first, but trust that they know what they’re doing, especially when it comes to the curry.

The green curry offers the perfect hit of spice, balanced out by its creamy coconut base and infused basil that will leave you scrounging for every last drop. Just remember to keep calm and curry on. 

Location: 10438 National Blvd Los Angeles, CA 9003

6. Greek Cast-Iron Quiche from Cafe Gratitude

Titled "Content" on the menu, this quiche really does leave you satisfied, if not a little full. Served with kalamata olives, tomato, red onion, and a cashew feta almond romesco sauce, the colors on the plate look almost as beautiful and vibrant as it tastes.

As a meat-eater, it's hard to expect the same flavors as you would from a more traditional quiche, considering vegans don't eat eggs, but the garbanzo flour frittata definitely holds its own and is worth the try. 

Location: 512 Rose Ave, Venice, CA 90291 

7. Tacos from Gracias Madre

A photo posted by @1390studio on

Tacos are a bare necessity and vegans shouldn't have to live without them. Gracias Madre's cauliflower, squash and mole mushrooms tacos are the answer to those prayers. They're fresh, crunchy, and the salsa verde mixed with the grilled squash adds the spice every good taco needs. Meatless Taco Tuesdays, anyone?

Location: 8905 Melrose Avenue, West Hollywood, CA 90069 

8. Hippie Ramen from Tatsu

ramen, vegetable, soup, noodle, pho
Madeline Craddock

This vegan ramen includes a meatless broth, standard noodles, spinach, green onions and tofu. The most surprising part of the dish was how rich the broth was, considering it was completely vegan.

As a meat-eater experimenting in the vegan world, I would even consider ordering this bowl over others, simply based on how much I enjoyed the sweet onion and soy sauce-based broth.

#SpoonTip: If you're like me and not fully vegan, you can also add an egg or cheese to this bowl to add even more flavors. 

Location: 2123 Sawtelle Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90025(310) 684-2889

9. Tropical Pancakes from The Vegan Joint

sweet
Madeline Craddock

Bananas and blueberries are cooked right into these sweet fluffy vegan pancakes, allowing the natural sugars of the fruit to glaze and soften into the mix.

This two-stack plate is filling enough to leave you satisfied after a breakfast or brunch, but, unlike other crazy pancakes, fruity and light enough so that you don't feel like you need to go home and immediately change out of your new high-waisted skinny jeans.  

Location: 10438 National Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90034 

10. Cinnamon Sugar Donuts from Sage Vegan Bistro

A photo posted by Maia (@maiaseats) on

These churro-like vegan donuts from the Sage Vegan Bistro in Echo Park can easily curb any sweet craving. After taking one sugary bite into the soft airy dough, you'll be so thankful that sugar and cinnamon are both vegan.

To make them even more tempting, the daily breakfast special includes an Americano and one of these huge fluffy donuts for just under $7, making it the perfect spot to stop on your way to work or school this week. 

Location: 1700 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90026