There is one thing, and only one thing, that I crave every second of every day: sushi. Spicy salmon rolls, dragon shrimp rolls, crunchy tempura eel rolls… you name it, I want it. However, it’s been so hard for me to find that one sushi restaurant that’s quick, cheap, convenient and absurdly delicious until… Tamaki. Tamaki is a sushi chain that opened up on E. Liberty and their Godzilla Roll is definitely god sent. Here are some quick thoughts as I sat down to eat my fifth roll in a week:

PROS:

1. You can choose whatever veggies, toppings and meat you want in your roll. These can range from pickled radish and English cucumber to roasted chicken and Bulgogi steak. Or if you’re not about making decisions, they have an awesome menu with a mix of classic and creative treats that will definitely please those little tasters.
  2. You can easily add tempura to any roll for $2 more. (Umm, YES PLEASE. Come to my arteries, fried food!)
  3. The restaurant’s set up like a Subway where you can actually watch it be made right in front of you in less than five minutes. (“Yo, you didn’t put enough avocado!”) It’s basically Jimmy J’s for sushi.
  4. Incredible prices ranging from a Miso Soup at $1.75 to a Double Cheeseburger roll at $7.95. I dig it. And the Double Cheeseburger.

Photo by Parisa Soraya

CONS:

1. The menu’s pretty small, mainly since the place caters towards your own custom creations. Pro or con? You decide.
  2. There’s not much of a lively atmosphere, but that’s probably ’cause it just opened. Give it some time though and I’m sure it’ll be bursting.

Photo by Parisa Soraya

Overall, I  really dig the concept behind the restaurant’s setup and hope that it’ll become a fun, easy spot for sushi-goers in the long run. The flavor profile could have been a bit stronger, but with such low prices, it’s hard to complain. Definitely solid if you’re looking for a quick bite to eat between classes. Don’t take my word for it though. Here’s to your fun sushi creations and to hopefully running into you!

cheap

Location: 521 E. Liberty St Ann Arbor 48104

Hours of operation:  11am to 10pm,  to 10pm,  12pm to 10pm