One of the most exciting parts of study abroad is experiencing new cuisine, but it’s normal to crave home cooking and junk food by the time midterms roll around. No matter what American specialty you’re craving, chances are, there’s a place to find it abroad. When you’ve had your fill of patatas bravas and churros, here are our picks for a taste of America in Madrid.

For Bagels: J&J’s Books & Coffee

Apart from over 25,000 English books, a daily happy hour and unique craft beers, J&J’s Books and Coffee in Malasaña also serves damn good homemade bagels. Several flavors are made fresh daily and served warm with heaps of real cream cheese.

cheap

Location: Calle Espíritu Santo, 47
Hours of Operation: Mon-Thu 4pm to 11:30pm, Fri 4pm to 2am, Sat noon to midnight, Sun 4pm to 10pm

taste of america

Photo Courtesy of Federal Café

For Brunch: Federal Café

Walking into Malasaña’s Federal Café feels like stepping into a cafe in hip Williamsburg. Federal is unique in that it serves American-style breakfast and brunch: think eggs, yogurt with granola, French toast and fresh green juice. Bonus: they even have cold-brew coffee. (And most of the staff speaks English!)

average

Location: Plazuela de las Comendadoras, 9
Hours of Operation: Mon-Thu 9am to midnight, Fri-Sat 9am to 1am, Sun 9am to 5:30pm

taste of america

Photo Courtesy of Goiko Grill

For Burgers: Goiko Grill

Madrid definitely isn’t the place for gourmet burgers, and that’s totally fine seeing as the Spanish have so many other culinary gems to offer. When you’re really craving a juicy burger, skip Burger King (where the patties are minuscule) and head to Goiko Grill.

cheap

Location: María de Molina, 16 and Conde de Peñalver, 41
Hours of Operation: 
Mon-Fri 1pm to midnight, Sat 1pm to 5pm and 8pm to midnight

taste of america

Photo Courtesy of Tommy Mel’s Classic Diner

For Diner Food: Tommy Mel’s Classic Diner

In the United States, Tommy Mel’s would probably be kitschy, but here in Madrid, the 50s decor and classic diner grub are comforting to international students and expats. Enjoy greasy American specialties like onion rings, mozzarella sticks, burgers and chili dogs and wash them down with a chocolate milkshake.

average

Location: various locations, visit www.tommymels.com
Hours of Operation: hours vary by location

taste of america

Photo Courtesy of Tierra Burrito Bar

For Burrito Bowls: Tierra Burrito Bar

If you’re experiencing Chipotle withdrawals, head to Alonso Martínez for Tierra Burrito, Chipotle’s Madrileño cousin. They serve huge burritos, burrito bowls, tacos and nachos. Almost everything at Tierra is on par with Chipotle, except the guacamole, which Spain isn’t known for. Tierra also offers unique bottled beers like Brooklyn and Anchor Steam, both from the United States.

average

Location: Calle Sagasta, 30
Hours of Operation: Sun-Thu noon to 12:30am, Fri-Sat noon to 2am