Ah, New Orleans. I've always been enchanted by the music, food, and gorgeous buildings...emphasis on the food. However, my Northeastern metabolism was not ready for the shock of fried food and butter, but that didn't stop me from eating myself into a coma.

Eating a true po' boy in New Orleans made me shy away from every "po' boy" wannabe I found in New York. Beignets never tasted like they did from Cafe du Monde (except for maybe the beignets at Ray's Candy Store).  While New York City has all foods from all cultures, I feel like it lacks some true New Orleans flare...that is, until now.

All Things Sugar Freak

Sugar Freak, a New Orleans-inspired restaurant, located in Astoria, Queens has finally reopened.  The original owner, Michele Addeo, has teamed up with James Paloumbis, the restauranteur behind MexiBBQ to breathe life back into this homestyle cooking favorite.

While places "inspired" by the South are often kitschy and cliche, Sugar Freak is anything but. The tin ceilings, mason jar candles, beaded necklaces, and wild colors take you from 30th Avenue to the French Quarter.  And don't even get me started on the menu.

Brunch

Let's kick it off with my favorite meal hybrid: brunch! Bananas Foster Chicken and Waffles. Crab Cake Benedict. More Po' Boys than you can ever imagine, and various brunch cocktails, like Creole Bloody Mary's, to wash everything down.

Still want more?

Dinner

Ready for more? Begin your dinner with some Hushpuppies or "Popcorn Alligator" (chicken-fried alligator tail!), if you're feeling daring.  Move on to a Muffuletta, or dig into some Jambalaya, Mac and Cheese, and some Fried Chicken and Waffles. The cornbread and biscuits are laden in thick gravy.  And how could you not top off a true Louisiana-style meal without beignets?

Sugar Freak makes it easy to eat like you're in New Orleans, and even easier to party like everyday is Mardi Gras everyday.