Tell me something, State College. Have you ever pulled up Order Up (or just switched tabs because if you’re like me, Order Up is almost never not open on your laptop) and thought “You know what, I don’t think I’m in the mood for Pokey Stix today. I want something different, something a little out of the ordinary.”

If you have, then you’re in luck.

Say “Guten tag” and “Ich liebe dich” to Herwig’s Austrian Bistro, a proud new member of the State College Order Up family.

austrian

Photo by Armin Nayak

In celebration of their new delivery option, I decided to finally try this restaurant that I’ve always wondered about but never stopped to try.

As a former picky eater, I have to be honest: the idea of Austrian cuisine was a bit intimidating, especially since I didn’t know what that would even entail. It didn’t help much when I went online to look at the menu and found I couldn’t pronounce most of the names of the food.

austrian

Photo by Armin Nayak

I was pleased to find that they served wiener schnitzel; I’d never before planned on eating wiener schnitzel, but it’s nice to know I have the option.

I ended up ordering Marinierte Hühnerbrust, which is chicken breast marinated in rosemary, olive oil and garlic, grilled to order and made with homemade herb butter. It came with a small potato salad and a side of greens.

austrian

Photo by Armin Nayak

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised, considering I knew nothing about Austrian cuisine and was half-expecting a guy in lederhosen to be at my door delivering my food.

The chicken was seasoned and cooked well, and the buttermilk-dill dressing that came with the meal was earthy and complimented the chicken.

It was different – in a good way – and I wouldn’t be opposed to going to Herwig’s again and trying out some other things.

austrian

Photo by Armin Nayak

The options were pricier than I was used to seeing on Order Up, but it’s really not bad for the amount of food you get.

austrian

Photo by Armin Nayak

Herwig’s is definitely unlike anything else State College has to offer and if you’re looking to try something new, I definitely recommend this place.

Enjoyed this post? Check out these: