Heavily raved about in New York and Los Angeles, the Museum of Ice Cream is finally bracing San Francisco with its playful presence—in a 108-year-old historic landmark at 1 Grant Ave. To give an idea of just how popular it is, SF Museum of Ice Cream tickets sold out within 90 minutes on Aug. 25, with 50,000 people in virtual queue before tickets even went live! Lucky us, we got a chance to preview the exhibit in San Francisco and see what the craze is all about.

Overview

Eileen Wang

SF Museum of Ice Cream has created 10 immersive installations, each tailored to a specific theme. Ticket holders will get a chance to walk through these wildly decked out rooms, participate in fun activities, taste various treats, and smell things never smelled before. That’s right—there are new additions that are unique to the San Francisco exhibit.

We don’t want to ruin the surprise, but here are a few things that are new to the San Francisco location.

The Vault

Eileen Wang

According to the employees, this vault—belonging to the bank that occupied this building—has not been seen by the public since the 1960s. In fact, the whole downstairs area was cemented off prior to building the pop-up exhibit itself. Unfortunately, the vault does not open, but it is directly attached to a specific room in the exhibit (for visitors to figure out).

Glittered Cotton Candy

Luna Zhang

One of the special treats visitors will receive is a cherry-flavored cotton candy that is freshly spun, then spritzed with edible glitter. I’ve had my fair share of cotton candy, but never one so glamorous (or cherry-flavored). Visitors can find it in the "Cherry on Top" room, where they can scratch and sniff the wallpaper.

Secret Mirror-Tiled Room

Luna Zhang

Unlike the other rooms, this room will take some snooping around to find. Its obscure exteriors don't do justice for the shimmering beauty that lies within. It's the perfect selfie-spot, if you ask me!

Unicorn Milk Ice Cream (and Grant, the Unicorn)

Luna Zhang

Another treat served at this pop-up is the Unicorn Milk ice cream that is "dipped in magic." It’s a mini soft serve that is oh-so-creamy and delightfully dipped in not-so-white, but rather millennial pink, chocolate. Believe me, it’s a refreshing bite and break between frantic photo opportunities. Visitors will also get a chance to meet Grant, the majestic unicorn named after the exhibit's street location.

Exclusive Flavors from Local Ice Cream Favorites

Luna Zhang

SF Museum of Ice Cream has curated the best of California ice cream and serves them in Marye’s Diner. Visitors will indulge in one “scoop of the week” from a rotating cast of creameries, including Bi-Rite Creamery, It’s It, Salt & Straw, and CREAM. Even better? These flavors are exclusive and can only be found at the pop-up itself.

Luna Zhang

The “scoop of the week” I got to try was Bi-Rite’s custom gingersnap ice cream topped with a savory sweet ginger crumble, drizzled with a strawberry basil sauce. It tasted like a sophisticated, adult strawberry cheesecake on crack.

Make a Statement Room

Luna Zhang

Make a statement or two in this room by rearranging pink magnetic letters on three different walls. Employees encourage visitors to write out their childhood dreams and hopes. The only rule is to keep these statements sweet. It's only fitting with the ice cream theme, ya feel? Visitors can also enjoy My/Mo Mochi ice cream in this room before they walk through the next exhibit.

What About the Sprinkle Pool?

Luna Zhang

Of course, the experience wouldn't be complete without the renown sprinkle pool. Underneath the 45-foot dome ceilings of the original historical structure lies the famous Sprinkle Pool that is filled with over 100 million custom-designed anti-microbial sprinkles. SF Museum of Ice Cream provides adorable pastel-colored props like beach balls and heart-shaped floats. There's also a "shower room" visitors will need to go through before they leave the museum.

Sweet Ending

Luna Zhang

To end the visit, visitors can purchase ice cream that's never been tasted before: Sprinkle Pool (popping cotton candy) and Piñata (cookie crumbles), both which are custom-made for SF Museum of Ice Cream. Visitors can also take last-minute photos on the many swing sets with pink and yellow backdrops, play table tennis, or purchase souvenirs at the gift shop.

Luna Zhang

With half a dozen unique treats to taste, 10 immersive and exciting rooms, unimaginable designs brought to life, and plenty of photo opportunities, SF Museum of Ice Cream will take San Francisco by storm. If you haven't fought for tickets yet, what are you waiting for? Extensions will be announced through February 2018, so you may still have a shot.