Hey Syracuse! Next time you’re feeling adventurous and want to wander off Marshall Street (I highly encourage you to), but also want to avoid the overflow of students at popular downtown restaurants, head to one of these six local food stops.

You’ve probably never heard of them before, but trust me, I’m from around here, so I know what’s good.

Today’s Special Cafe

109 S Warren St, Syracuse, NY 13202 • (315) 472-5944

Downtown Syracuse

Photo courtesy of Today’s Special Cafe

Popular breakfast and lunch spot amongst the downtown community, Today’s Special Café is tucked away in the State Tower building in the historic Hanover Square.

Stop by each day of the week for a new soup and sandwich special, or stick to the basics and satisfy your palette with a peanut butter and sliced banana sandwich, drizzled with honey, grilled on whole wheat bread and dusted with powdered sugar.

Leihs & Steigerwald

117 E Fayette Street, Syracuse, NY 13202 •  (315) 652-4955

Downtown Syracuse

Photo courtesy of Leihs & Steigerwald

Started in 1936, with a decidedly Old World German butcher shop on Grant Boulevard on Syracuse’s North Side, Leihs & Steigerwald is sure to please every meat lover. The recently opened location in Downtown Syracuse is where the old-fashioned neighborhood meat market meets a new downtown bar, deli, and grocery.

Jolime Fresh Garden Cafe

125 E Jefferson Street, Syracuse, NY 13202 • (315) 299-7677

Downtown Syracuse

Photo courtesy of Jolime Fresh Garden Cafe

Fresh, locally baked bread, 100% natural soups and locally roasted coffee. JoLime Fresh Garden Café sources from local farmers to obtain the freshest ingredients and provide natural proteins, stocks from scratch, no MSG, additives or preservatives.

Pasta’s Daily Bread

308 S Franklin Street, Syracuse, NY 13202 • (315) 701-0224

Downtown Syracuse

Photo courtesy of Pasta’s Daily Bread

Across from the known and beloved Pastabilities, Pasta’s Daily Bread offers a soup, sandwich, focaccia square and personal pizza for each day of the week. We recommend the grilled-to-perfection cheddar & gruyere sandwich on cheddar oregano bread, baked in-house, served with cream of tomato soup.

Downtown Farmers’ Market

1 Clinton Square, Syracuse, NY 13202 • (315) 422-8284

Downtown Syracuse

Photo courtesy of downtownsyracuse.com

Missed Saturday’s Regional Market? Fear not–the Downtown Farmers’ Market features over 50 farmers and produce dealers selling fresh, seasonal fruits, vegetables, nuts, eggs, cheeses and baked goods. The Market comes to Clinton Square every Tuesday, June 9 through October 13, setting up shop from 7 AM-3 PM.

The Mission Restaurant

304 E Onondaga Street, Syracuse, NY 13202 • (315) 475-7344

Downtown Syracuse

Photo courtesy of The Mission Restaurant

Now cooking up a delectable Pan-American cuisine, The Mission Restaurant was once home to a historic church and Underground Railroad stop. The menu will satisfy every taste bud. It consists of a combination of some of the best Mexican, Southwestern and South American specialties.