From August 3rd-13th, several of your favorite Austin eateries, bars and trailers donated 10% of proceeds to their non-profit of choice as part of Eat Out For Good. I had the opportunity to grab a bite at Roll On Sushi Diner, benefiting Lone Star Paralysis Foundation. Here’s what went down:

The minute I walked in, I was surprised to see a colorful, retro interior. But then it hit me; this was a diner after all.

Interior

Photo by Gabby Phi

Roll On Sushi Diner takes fusion sushi to a whole different level, highlighting rolls such as The Beefy Texan, which pairs beef brisket, wasabi cole slaw and spicy BBQ mayo, and The Grouch, a flavorful combination of chili-rubbed chicken, pepper jack cheese, caramelized onions and chipotle aioli. The punny names throughout the menu added that much more charm to the funky vibe.

As part of Eat Out For Good, a special menu was created for foodies to grub on and also lend a hand to those in need. My friends and I shared the Hamathai and The Wave. One of my favorite fishes is yellowtail, and the Hamathai showcased the freshness of the yellowtail so nicely with the perfect amount of ponzu and a hint of Thai chili and cilantro.

Hamathai

Hamathai | Photo by Gabby Phi

The Wave married tempura shrimp, avocado and crab with eel sauce and wasabi honey in such a unique combination. The wasabi honey gave the roll a delightful kick, with a flavor that was equally sweet and spicy. I would’ve never paired wasabi and honey together, but it turns out the combination does wonders.

The Wave

The Wave | Photo by Gabby Phi

If you’re in the mood for a refreshing take on sushi, be sure to pay a visit to Roll On Sushi Diner. Tip: happy hour specials include cheap rolls and booze!

Spread

Photo by Gabby Phi

average

Location: 5350 Burnet Rd. #2 Austin, TX 78756
Hours of Operation: Mon-Thurs: 11am-9pm, Fri: 11am-10pm, Sat: 12pm-10pm, Sun: 4pm-9pm; Happy Hour: Mon-Fri 4pm-7pm, Sat: 8pm-10pm