Aaahhh snow days… Gotta love ‘em, right? Well, not really. At least not when you were planning on trying out a new food truck that day, because chances are that you might end up on an empty sidewalk. For this week’s rice adventure, I was planning on going to Drexel. Yet, due to the inclement weather, the truck I’d had my eye on was closed. So I reluctantly headed home. On my way, I walked past Gigi and Big R, which was open on that cold and snowy winter’s day, and decided to give Caribbean food a try.

I ordered their most famous dish: the jerk chicken with rice and red beans along with candied yams as a side. For those of you who’ve never heard of jerk chicken before, it’s marinated (or dry-rubbed) in a traditional mix of allspice, chili peppers and sugar. The chicken’s skin was caramelized and its flesh was tender and spicy. The sweetness of the yams balanced all the flavors and the rice and beans were soaked in the seasoning and cooked to perfection. Though every bite was pure pleasure, the size of the platter got the best of me. No wonder this truck won the 2011 Vendy Awards. We’ve got Caribbean comfort food at its best on campus!

cheap

Address: 38th St and Spruce St  Hours: Mon-Fri: 11am-9pm