If you haven't heard of poke (pronounced poh-kay), you're living under a rock. Essentially, poke is a deconstructed sushi bowl, and it's taking the Internet by storm. It's a tasty dish, and hella photogenic to boot. 

Northwestern students now have the opportunity to try out this Hawaiian dish and post for their food photos for the 'gram. Aloha Poke Co. recently opened up a storefront in downtown Evanston and is now one of the hottest lunch spots around campus.

The Look

tea, beer, coffee
Jeanne Paulino

The first thing you notice when you walk into Aloha Poke is how minimalist it is. Most of the interior is black and white, with a few accents, giving the joint a modern and fresh vibe. I particularly was fond of the succulents strewn along the wall, a sustainable homage to the rich tropics where poke comes from.

The Menu

The beauty of poke is that it is customizable. You can choose the size, type of base and protein you want and toppings, altering it to suit your dietary needs. What's best is that you don't have to pay additional costs for Guac (I'm looking at you, Chipotle). Although there are three "house bowls," which are pre-selected flavor combinations, you can add or leave out whatever you want, or create your own bowl.

#Spoontip look up the menu here so that you're not overwhelmed by the choices available and know exactly what Aloha Poke has to offer.

The Taste

I ordered a crunch bowl with salmon. I came in with high expectations, since the sushi in Los Angeles is just so good. Needless to say, I was not disappointed by Aloha Poke.

The crunch bowl is the most popular, and for good reason. All the ingredients tasted as if they had just been taken from the ocean or plucked from the garden; you can tell the ingredients are top-notch and fresh. There was also a good balance between the sweet marinated salmon and the spicy jalapeño, with the flavors complementing each other, giving your tastebuds the sort of flavor journey that you dream about going on.

And, as a cherry on top, there was so much texture in the bowl, which is so important to me. The edamame explode when you bite into them; the cucumbers snap between your teeth; the tobiko pop in your mouth like pop rocks. It kept me guessing, on the edge of my seat, and I loved it.

The Verdict

I am definitely returning to Aloha Poke. Since I now know all that they offer, I can't wait to create my own bowl. However, I don't think I'll make it a weekly thing. For $11 for a medium, it's a hefty price tag that adds up, especially since I live that #brokecollegekidlife. Plus, it's pretty light and more of a lunchtime meal than something that'll keep you stuffed for hours. Though I do believe it is worth the cost, it's more of an indulgence or treat than a necessity.

If you're looking to expand your flavor profile or for a something to spice up your feed, head to Aloha Poke. You'll experience this unique cuisine while looking good at the same time.