Revelator Coffee Company, with locations scattered across the Southeast, has landed in downtown Charleston. They've set up shop at 550 King St., appealing to the Upper King business and student crowd. According to an Eater article on the company, this Southern coffee roaster aspires "to create a new brand synonymous with the region, fostering aspirations to be to the South what Stumptown was to the Pacific Northwest." The overall mission of Revelator is to provide good quality coffee, with close attention paid to what is in season at the time and how the beans are roasted for the best possible experience. 

coffee, espresso, tea, beer
Kristen Kornbluth

The Charleston location follows the general Revelator theme of minimalistic decor and an open layout, but enjoys the local twist of King Street views from the large windows that surround the space. Chairs and coffee tables sit in the natural light that fills the place, and magazines are scattered around, each focused on a different city and their coffee culture.

tea, cake, coffee, pizza
Kristen Kornbluth

The menu is straight and to the point, covering a good bit of the popular coffee shop offerings. They plan to offer sandwiches and pastries from local cafes and bakeries as well later on. This is good news for those of us who enjoy croissants with our coffee, but want to support local businesses at the same time.

beer, coffee, pizza
Kristen Kornbluth

I was able to try multiple things on the menu, but my favorite item was the mocha. The chocolate flavor was rich, but not too prominent, and the solid art on top didn't hurt. Noteworthy options also include the cold brew and peppermint tea.

coffee, espresso, milk
Kristen Kornbluth

Revelator's grand opening is today, November 10. Head up to 550 King and give them a nice, warm Charleston welcome. It's a solid new option for somewhere to stay a while and do homework, or to just pop in and grab a quick cup on your way to class or work.

beer, tea, coffee
Kristen Kornbluth