In honor of our first St. Patrick’s Day in Boston together, my friends and I scoured the Internet, looking for a proper place for a celebration. Fortunately, we didn’t have to look far.

In the heart of Back Bay, we discovered Sólás Irish Pub, a cozy restaurant with a colorful blend of classic Irish traditions and modern style. The vibrant stained glass and Irish lettering contribute to the pub’s warm ambiance in a way that reminded me of a classier Lord of the Rings hobbit dwelling (in a good way, completely).

Pub

Photo by Elise Takahama

We started with the Irish Street Corn, grilled in garlic butter and topped with queso fresco and – here’s the twist – Irish curry powder. The intensity of the curry spices complement the warm sweetness of the roasted corn, striking an unusual, but surprisingly delicious, flavor.

The Guinness onion soup was next. The soup welcomes the familiarity of French onion soup in its thick, cheesy layers and homemade croutons, but introduces a deeper flavor in the Guinness addition.

My friends ordered the St. Patrick’s Day specials – the corned beef and cabbage and the bangers and mash. The juicy corned beef melts in your mouth, accompanied with a tangy mustard seed sauce that adds a kick. The bangers and mash sparked more excitement with savory mashed potatoes, hearty sausages and thick onion ring toppers.

Pub

Photo by Elise Takahama

It probably would have been smart to exercise some self-control, but when we realized there were desserts – Guinness chocolate cake and Irish whiskey cake – we obviously couldn’t miss that opportunity.

The chocolate cake is filled with Jameson Irish Whiskey frosting, a slightly salty, smooth cream. The richness of the frosting fits the light sponginess of the cake, and though I’m not typically a huge frosting person, we later agreed we would have happily accepted just a bowl of that frosting for dessert.

Pub

Photo by Elise Takahama

The whiskey cake, although another Irish cream frosting creation, satisfies a completely different craving. With a nuttier and thicker texture, the Irish whiskey cake serves as a less-sweet alternative to those without a big sweet tooth.

So with one of Boston’s favorite holidays upon us, keep Sólás in mind. The lively atmosphere, friendly service and delicious food are definitely something to feel lucky about.