In the food world, last year was certainly “The Year of the Cupcake”. We saw an explosion of new bakeries, food trucks, restaurants and television shows catering to the taste buds of professional food aficionados and children alike, with flavors from chocolate curry to sophisticated peanut butter and jelly.

_DSC9607

Photo by Karina Rao

Long before the cupcake-craze, married couple Olga and Ben sold their cupcakes at Polkadots Cupcake Factory. They opened the doors of their cupcake paradise in 2008 and have been producing some of the tastiest treats around campus ever since. Take this tiramisu cupcake for example, which, if you can possibly imagine, tastes even better than it looks.

When you go in, you get the overwhelming feeling that you are walking into your grandmother’s house, partially because of the warm welcome from the staff and the rickety wood floors from the original 1908 house, but mostly because of the tantalizing smells emanating from the kitchen.

_DSC9602

Photo by Karina Rao

As you can probably imagine, the hardest part of the ordering process is picking the right one. My piece of advice? Don’t even bother worrying. The menu changes daily and that honey chai cupcake you are eyeing may not be there the next time you come back. So embrace the cupcakes and order multiple. Seriously though, you will not be sorry.

_DSC9595

Photo by Karina Rao

Dine-in, take it to go, or get it delivered (yes, that’s right, they deliver these little babies), but whatever you do, get one today and dig in.

_DSC9608

Photo by Karina Rao

[badge style=”1″][/badge]

cheap

Location: 2826 Rio Grande St, Suite B, Austin, Texas 78705
Hours of Operation: Mon–Sat: 12 pm – 8 pm, Closed on Sundays.