Spring is always a great time to try new things. On May 4th, a new restaurant named Poki Poki Cevicheria opened up on the corner of Central and Harvard, across from UNM. On opening day, I planned to get a sandwich or something similar, but I passed by Poki Poki and my heart stopped.

The last time I ate poke was in California and that was a couple of years ago. When I found out that an actual poke shop opened in the Albuquerque area, I knew I had to try it. Instead of getting my sandwich, I begged my friend to come try the new poke with me.

For those who are unfamiliar with poke (poʊˈkeɪ), poke is a Hawaiian raw fish salad. Ceviche is a bit similar, but is raw fish that is cured in citrus juice.

At Poki Poki, they combined both concepts of a raw fish salad and a raw fish and citrus dish to make delicious poke and ceviche bowls.

Poki Poki Cevicheria

Photo by Sharmaine Ong

The bowl that I purchased was a make your own poke bowl. I chose the regular size, and I chose rice as my base. For the price of $8.95, I received 3oz of salmon and tuna, 3 vegetable sides, and a couple of smaller sides. All together, it was a great deal. I was stuffed after eating it, so I can definitely say it’s worth the price.

Not only did I order a bowl of poke, I also ordered a milk tea boba. It was sweet and delicious. If you like Boba Tea Company or even Bubblicitea, try the boba here. It’s pretty good.

Poki Poki Cevicheria

Photo by Sharmaine Ong

If you’re in the mood for something new, try Poki Poki Cevicheria. They’re new, they’re different, and they’re located right across from campus. If you like raw fish, this is definitely the place for you.