It finally happened: the basic betch gods have graced Charlottesville with the gift of poke. Students all over town are rejoicing as they can finally get in on poke bowl Instagram action. Here are all the juicy deets on your soon-to-be fave spot on the Corner: Poke Sushi Bowl.

poke

Photo by Bridget Muckian

The owners of Poke Sushi Bowl have embraced the success and popularity of the build-your-own-bowl concept, joining places like Roots, Mezeh and Chipotle, of course.

You pick your base (white or brown rice), protein, toppings and sauces. There are also pre-set bowl combinations if making your own stresses you out.

poke

Photo courtesy of Francisco B. on yelp.com

The fish is very high quality, so don’t feel apprehensive about ordering raw ahi tuna, yellowtail, or salmon. But if raw fish isn’t your thing, don’t worry, you can still get in on the poke fun. They also offer cooked shrimp and crab as protein options.

If a bowl of raw, sushi-grade fish sounds expensive, I have good news for you. Bowls only cost between $9-12, and you get enough food for 2 meals, so really it’s way more economical than the 2 or 3 rolls of sushi you order for takeout once a week. Don’t lie to yourself, we all do it.

poke

Photo by Bridget Muckian

More good news: unlimited toppings. They’ve got everything from seaweed salad and mango to edamame, fish roe and jalapeños. And of course avocado is an option too (the only thing in the entire restaurant that will cost you extra).

You can choose from 6 different types of sauces too, including everyone’s fave, sriracha mayo, and several different flavors of soy sauces. So far, the best bowl I’ve made goes like this: brown rice, ahi tuna, edamame, mango, cucumber, fish roe, seaweed salad and avocado topped with spicy mayo.

The best news about poke is that it’s pretty healthy. Order the salmon to get your daily dose of omega-3’s, add edamame for more protein, and load up on toppings like mango, cucumber and avocado. Just ask them to go light on the sauces.

poke

Photo courtesy of Crescent I. on yelp.com

Now that you’re hip to poke, go forth, be basic and make your own poke creation.