Yes, you heard that right. Pizzeria Locale is the Chipotle of pizza. And it’s coming.

The Story

Pizza

Photo courtesy of westword.com

A few years ago in Colorado, Chipotle founder Steve Ells fell in love with a high end pizza joint called Frasca Italian. In fact, he loved the food so much that he went to the owners and asked to turn their food into a high quality “fast food” joint, like Chipotle.

Frasca Italian founders (pictured above), Chefs Lachlan Mackinnon-Patterson – who was a James Beard Best Chef Southwest – and Bobby Stuckey, two-time James Beard winner for best wine service, even traveled to Naples to study traditional pizza making before opening their second restaurant, Pizzeria Locale, the first of the fast food variety.

Not only did it work, it worked amazingly well.

And who wouldn’t want that? It’s fine dining, fast. Basically, they serve the same menu that the full service restaurant had, but at a cheaper price. Think $13 pizza for $5.50 using the same ingredients.

What can you get?

Pizza

Photo courtesy of franchise herald.com

Pizza made to order, with dough made from simple ingredients (including a special variety of Oregon grown wheat) and natural yeasts that raise and ferment overnight, like pizza dough should. Also, hand tossed salads, meatballs, freshly sliced prosciutto, and wine from Frasca’s winery in Italy.

So now the real questions: When and where?

Pizza

Photo courtesy of hereandnow.wbur.org

Well, Miamians have it made: they’re coming to the Kenwood Towne Center in Cincinnati this July, so make a day out of it and get some shopping done before (and after) you indulge in some fresh ‘za.

There are already 2 in Denver, and another is set to open in Kansas City in July, just before the one in Kenwood.
Ohio’s branch will be located in an old Johnny Rocket’s, and thanks to their partnership with Chipotle, all the same quality and sourcing standards will be in place, along with the amazing culture.

For more Chipotle feels, check out these related articles: