When I think of the holidays, I'm warmed by thoughts of good times, good people and good food. Pie is especially important concerning the latter, and at Emporium Pies, it is just as much a social experience as it is a gastronomic adventure. Who’s with me when I say the holidays just aren't complete without good pie? 

I can't imagine the holiday season expressed through any food better than pie. It is -- though a good cup of chai tea makes for a strong second -- the ultimate comfort food. Here, this dependable comfort food is done in all the right ways, and if you're new to the world of pies for festive occasions, Emporium Pies is the best place to start. There is no better way to get into the holiday mood than with a slice à la mode alongside a cup of one of their fresh brews.

As talked about by D Magazine, Eater, and The Dallas Morning News, Emporium Pies is the shop for your finest pie cravings. Giving off a homegrown specialty vibe, the atmosphere of this shop is amiable and the staff gracious with true southern character.  

My experience with their masterful pies began on my brother’s birthday. Like all food lovers have experienced at least once, we were set on a classic "lost taste" quest to find what was as good as we remembered The Pie Bar to be. Fortunately, we didn't have to look far.

THE MELLOW YELLOW

My favorite pie — unfortunately not available this season — is the refreshing Mellow Yellow. This lemon chiffon pie has a smooth and airy texture, with just the right amount of tartness. Did I say that the crumbly crust is made of ginger snaps? Well it is, and it’s delightful.

THE LORD OF THE PIES

ice, ice cream, cream
Sabrina Tran

Preferences aside, the Lord of the Pies -- if you could not tell already from the name -- is a must-try. I daresay it’s a rite of passage for any new patrons of the homey shop. Be warned though, Emporium Pies’ interpretation of the classic apple pie is one MONSTER of a dessert. This is a buttery deep-dish apple pie, finished off with a streusel topping. Thick as a layer cake and denser than 5 o'clock traffic on Waterview Pkwy., a slice of this pie would be well worth the $6.

For those of you craving more traditional Thanksgiving flavors, their pumpkin pie is Drop Dead Gorgeous. The pumpkin filling is a luxurious custard, brought to life with the addition of the holiday spice.

Emporium Pies has three locations in the Dallas-Fort Worth area:

Bishop Arts District 314 N. Bishop Ave Dallas, TX, 75208

Downtown McKinney 107 S. Tennessee St. McKinney, TX 75069

Deep Ellum 2708 Main Street Dallas, TX, 75226