Let’s face it, the dining hall can get pretty boring after a while. National Food Holidays are the perfect excuse to go treat yourself. Yes, there is one for every day of the year. That just means its okay to treat yourself every day.

There is a process as to how food holidays are made, but what we really care about is where to celebrate them. One great thing about Harvard Square is the abundance of great restaurants, cafes, and food shops. We did a little research and a lot of eating; here are the results for where to celebrate in the Square.

October 1st–National Kale Day

food holidays

Photo by Julianna Lee

We’ve all heard of the infamous kale, but only some of us have actually tried it. If you haven’t, October 1st is the perfect excuse to do so. Head on over to b.good on Dunster Street for one of their nutrient rich kale and grain bowls, vibrant with color and packed with flavor.

With variations ranging from toasted almond & ginger to the power bowl, at least one will satisfy your stomach. Each bowl comes with grains, kale, sautéed veggies, and toppings, all for under $10.

If you’re not as hungry, try B. Good’s Kale Crush smoothie. Blended with apple, pineapple, and pineapple juice, this smoothie hides kale’s slightly bitter taste with the sweetness of the fruit. But you still get all of its nutritional benefits.

October 3rd–National Soft Taco Day

food holidays

Photo courtesy of Scorpions and Centaurs on Flickr

Pulled beef, marinated chicken, or swordfish tacos from Border Cafe on Church Street are sure to hit the spot. Open since 1987, Border is committed to both quality and value.

If you need another reason to go, they serve you endless warm chips and salsa. Yeah. Thought so.

October 11th–National Sausage Pizza Day

food holidays

Photo by Julianna Lee

Go try OTTO Pizza on Mass Ave. There may be a line and the shop may be small, but it is all worth it once you walk in and smell all of that melted cheese. Just trust us. There’s a reason why it’s a favorite in the square to students and residents alike.

Use this day in particular to celebrate a slice of Otto’s sausage and vitalia onion. But since October is National Pizza Month, you have 30 other fabulous days to load up on their other unique flavor combinations like tortellini and apple-bacon.

October 18th–National Chocolate Cupcake Day

food holidays

Photo by Julianna Lee

Because National Cupcake Day is not enough, there is also a national chocolate cupcake day. Get rid of Sunday blues with a moist, delectable cupcake at Sweet Bakery on Brattle.

They have you covered with dark chocolate cupcakes with vanilla or chocolate frosting, red velvet cupcakes (yes, this is a type of chocolate), vegan chocolate cupcakes, mini cupcakes, and even chocolate covered strawberry.

But Harvard Square is chock full of goodies. Crema Cafe, runner-up on Cupcake Wars, will also feature a chocolate peanut butter cupcake all month long. Use this day as a perfect excuse to get one.

October 28th–National Chocolate Day

food holidays

Photo by Julianna Lee

If you face the struggles of being a chocolate addict, this day is a perfect excuse to satisfy that sweet tooth. L.A. Burdick, started in 1987 in New York City, now has a location just down Brattle.

There is a wide assortment of truffles, bars, and bonbons in addition to their “drinking chocolate” and pastries. With cocoa imported straight from Grenada, their chocolate is made with some of the highest quality ingredients to ensure the best product.

Then, when the month’s finally over, November Food Holidays can help you get out of your post-Halloween slump.