Somewhere around 40 reservations were made for the wine and dine event held by the Nittany Lion Inn this past January 14. But it was not a typical “wine and dine” setting; the Dining Room heartily encompassed a Spanish-like aesthetic through the use of drapery and other decorations. There were roses on each table and a gorgeous centerpiece that held most of the wine that the diners would be drinking later throughout their five-course meal.

wine

Taken by Caitlin Wolper

The point of the evening was not solely for the sake of wining and dining, however. It was meant to educate people on the different forms and tastes of wine in a non-pretentious manner. There was a small gathering of just 40 reservations so that it could be a personal learning experience for both staff members and diners.

wine

Photo by Caitlin Wolper

For the five course meal, with five or six wines paired with each dish respectively, the cost was set at a very reasonable price of $65 per person. The hosts of the evening aspired for the themed dinner to be an approachable event that would appeal to anyone.

And it definitely does appeal; I myself would be interested in attending. It would be a very nice place to take a date so that you could both become wine aficionados together in a place that you don’t need to be a country-club-going debutante to attend.

wine

Photo by Caitlin Wolper

This first event was advertised by word of mouth and emails to regular diners. However, there are more events coming up, and the next couple of dinners are going to have themes inspired by Italy and Washington. If you’d like to go with a friend, date or wine lover (or someone who wants to love wine but doesn’t know where to start), contact the Nittany Lion Inn.

Like this article? Check out these related posts: