Nami Ramen, aka the new kid on the block (if that block was Central Avenue in Clayton), is finally filling the elevated ramen void that previously plagued St. Louis. The menu is extensive and caters to all kinds of ramen eaters – from newbies to the seasoned pro, from meat eaters to vegetarians.

On the menu you can find classic appetizers like edamame and gyoza as well as Japanese style chicken nuggets. For all you ramen skeptics, your main course doesn’t need to be ramen at all – instead, you can modify a rice bowl. Bonus: every table is equipped with a box of spices and fun accouterments to customize your meal however you like.

The meal starts with whichever appetizer you choose, but let’s be real, if you’re being smart you’ll choose the bao. Bao is a steamed bun filled with classic stuffings, like braised pork belly or tempura shrimp. I must say, Nami Ramen’s bao is incredible. I don’t consider myself a bao expert, but after eating the tempura shrimp, chipotle mayo, steamed bun concoction I know I’d like to be. The soft buns and the snappy green onion pair perfectly together.

Nami Ramen

Photo by Mollie Carroll

The next stop is the ramen – the main attraction. Choose from 10 flavors of ramen including miso and pork, seafood and tomato, and even fried chicken. The bowls are filled with combinations of veggies, meat and classic seasoning. Each bowl comes with a “molten egg” and nori to accompany the rest of the delicious combination.

Nami Ramen

Photo by Mollie Carroll

The best part of Nami Ramen is that they don’t hold back. If you’re promised crab meat, you’re getting crab meat to please the hungriest among us. The bowl size itself is enough to tell you that you won’t leave unsatisfied. I personally don’t see this as an issue, just means we all get to enjoy ramen again tomorrow.

The ability to hoard your ramen is essential since Nami Ramen is definitely not cheap – a full meal comes in at about fifteen dollars.