Toronto recently welcomed its newest addition to the city’s bumpin’ noodle scene: MeNami. Located in the Lansing District, the restaurant caters to people who live for the late night munchies.

The restaurant’s open until 2 am and serves up adventurous dishes and drinks. Special shout outs to the oven baked udon featuring tex mex on the menu.

Noodle

Photo by Natalie Tay

Let’s talk about the atmosphere. The restaurant’s homey and hip, perfect for a simple afternoon. From the industrial lights to rustic driftwood decor, MeNami’s got your Instagram needs covered. But that’s not it. The bar’s strung with neon lights and presents an edgy chalkboard menu. Just think about how bumpin’ it gets later in the evening.

Noodle

Photo by Natalie Tay

Okay. The food. Some people say that noodles are only good in the winter. Please. Noodles hit the spot any time of year and no one does noodles better than MeNami.

Along with the traditional brothy udon dishes, the menu consists of creamy udon (think alfredo, but with udon noodles) and even an udon salad if you’re finding the weather too warm for a soupy bowl of goodness.

A variety of tasty tapas are also available if you’re in a sharing or snacking mood. Realistically, you’ll probably get both and be happy you did. Fun fact: chef Kevin Shin studied the art of udon in Japan and makes the noodles in-house with an imported machine. So… you should maybe order the noodles.

Noodle

Photo by Renee Suen

Let’s not forget about the drank. MeNami offers the usual beers and various Korean beverages, but prides itself in its fine sake selection. You can even order fancy sake cocktails. #SpoonTip: Order the Thai iced tea not listed on the menu.

Noodle

Photo by Jesse Milns

And finally, here’s what we ate. My friend and I shared the corn kaki-age on the tapas menu for $5. While people traditionally prefer the chicken kara-age (basically fried chicken), the corn kaki-age was a perfectly light appetizer. I should mention that it comes with a honey butter mayonnaise for dipping. YES. HONEY BUTTER.

Noodle

Photo by Natalie Tay

My friend had the spicy pork udon with onion, grated ginger and green onion for $11. I was underwhelmed by the appearance, but once you try the pork and broth, you’ll need to order another bowl.

Noodle

Photo by Natalie Tay

I had the black sesame puree udon with beef for $15. Its appearance is borderline unappealing, but the taste is unreal. With a combination of Korean beef, schichimi, green onion, red pepper thread and baby spinach, the dish just works.

The creamy texture isn’t too heavy or overwhelming and the sweetness of the sauce is perfectly cut by the deep earthiness of the black sesame. Definitely a must-try.

Noodle

Photo by Natalie Tay

Overall, MeNami won’t disappoint whether you’re feeling a traditional bowl of noodles or some tasty snacks. The portions are generous while the price is affordable. Most importantly, the flavors are perfectly balanced.

I found myself asking the diners to my left and right if we should order more food despite being satisfied.