As a college student, I came to school knowing I would miss my friends, showering without flip flops, and my bed, but I didn't realize how much I'd miss a restaurant quality meal. Luckily for us Muhlenberg students, there are so many different restaurant options that our parents can take us to when they come to visit. In this guide, you will find a few favorites of Muhlenberg students...and I'm pretty sure these favorites will become some of your parents favorites too.  

The Hamilton Kitchen & Bar

Cuisine: American 

Atmosphere: Casual Dress to Slightly Fancy

Price: $$ ($30 & under)

The Hamilton Kitchen & Bar is a classic Allentown restaurant that is   very popular among students and parents. It has a welcoming atmosphere with a urban vibe; dishes range from American classics like burgers and chicken wings to house made carrot ravioli and pancetta wrapped meatloaf. You may want to warn your parents that you'll be ordering two side dishes of their mac 'n cheese though.

Serves brunch, lunch, and dinner 

Centro

Cuisine: Italian 

Atmosphere: Casual Dress

Price: $$ ($30 & under)

Centro is an Italian eatery that offers traditional dishes prepared and presented in a unique way. This restaurant places an emphasis on small dishes that can be shared around the table. Not only is the food always fresh, but it is often grown locally. Centro favorites include CENTRO Meatballs, Sage Pappardelle with Duck Ragu, and Stone-Fired Pizzas. And of course, you cannot forget about dessert: the Honey Ricotta Cheesecake and Venetian Chocolate Walnut Cake often steals the show. Have fun bonding with your family about all of your food babies!

Serves lunch and dinner 

Henry's Salt of the Sea

Cuisine: Seafood

Atmosphere: Causal Dress

Price: $$ (Entrees average from $25-$30- many cost under $20, although there is an Early Bird menu that is $19.99)

Known as a "gem" in Allentown, this small French-inspired seafood restaurant is familiar among longtime Allentown restaurant goers. Every meal comes with a salad, a side, and an endless basket of bread. Diners often suggest escargot or the Brown Sugar Bacon Scallops for an appetizer and the Broiled Seafood Combination or Fruits de Mers for an entree. So be prepared to dive face first into an endless sea of food. 

Serves lunch and dinner

Cali Burrito

Cuisine: Mexican/Southwestern 

Atmosphere: Casual Dress

Price: $ 

Compared to the restaurants mentioned above, Cali Burrito can be called a dive...yet the food makes up for its lack in appearance, it's been all over the news. If you and your family are starving and unable to wait 20-30 minutes for your food, this is your go-to restaurant. Besides burritos, tacos, and quesadillas, there are a ton of vegetarian options- all made with the locally made organic tofu. In order to keep things fresh and spicy, Cali Burrito picks a new salsa of the week and burrito of the week. I hope your ready to stuff your face like the overstuffed burrito you're probably already mentally ordering. 

The Hummus House

Cuisine: Middle Eastern Restaurant 

Atmosphere: Casual Dress

Price: $-$$

Small and homey, The Hummus House offers an array of Middle Eastern cuisine, along with deli-style sandwiches. From grape leaves to mixed berry tarts, each food is carefully made to ensure that there is a taste of the Middle East in each bite. Since there are so many options to choose from, have each family member order one thing to share with the table...I'm sure you won't be disappointed (I would recommend that one of you order the spinach pie and another one of you order the "healthy hero". Although it is a relatively new restaurant, word has spread about the deliciousness it has to offer. 

Want more local eats? Check out these articles! 

5 Places to Nosh as in Allentown to Satisfy Your Midnight Cravings 

6 Tasty Vegan Restaurants in Allentown 

The Ultimate Eating and Drinking Guide at Muhlenberg College