Little do many know that the Italian Market is actually a mecca for Mexican cuisine. In fact, some pretty fantastic Mexican food hides among the throngs of specialty cheese, pasta and Italian good stores. If you’re asking why there’s Mexican food in an Italian market, your guess is as good as mine. I will tell you with confidence, however, that the Los Amigos Food Market is one spot to try. Los Amigos, a humble butcher shop, has plenty of meat products (including a popular homemade chorizo) in case you’re looking to cook. Most importantly, the spot has a lot more to offer than just meat— its hidden gem is its prepared food.

Mexican Treasure

Photo by Amanda Shulman

The shop boasts a small menu (tamales, burritos, carnitas). It’s simple and forward, plus a lovely woman will quickly prepare your order then give it to you piping hot. I ordered the pork tamale and was handed a warm styrofoam carton. Nestled inside was a folded corn husk encasing a perfectly textured masa (corn based dough) bundle. The masa was doughy with a little grainy bite, and it encompassed shredded pork that was tender and well seasoned. The spicy green salsa served alongside was vibrant, adding a welcome kick to not only the dish, but also to the whole of the market in general.

cheap

Location: 927 S 9th St, Philadelphia, PA 19147.
Hours: Daily 8pm-9pm.