Like most college students, I don’t get to go out for fancy dinners on Main Street very often. So when my mom came to visit last weekend, I was really psyched to go out for an amazing meal.

I’ve heard people raving about Mélange for a while, and I’ve been waiting for my chance to try it. Located on Main Street, you have to go down a flight of stairs to get there, making the place feel like some exclusive, mysterious speakeasy. Very cool.

The ambiance is contemporary with warm shades of red, orange and brown and the dim glow and bamboo-like décor give it a trendy feel. The menus also have a backlight behind them that turn on when opened so you can see in the dim lighting. I give props to restaurants that think about these little details to make your overall experience better.

melange

Photo courtesy of Mélange

The menu offers high-end Asian Fusion options including sushi and lettuce wraps, as well as many unique preparations of meats and fish. Everything sounded amazing and I was really impressed with the selection. I felt like every option was something I wouldn’t have been able to order anywhere else in AA.

Craving sushi, I started with a spicy tuna roll. Though it wasn’t very adventurous of me, it was one of the best spicy tuna rolls I’ve had in Ann Arbor. You can tell the fish was high quality and very fresh. Yum.

For our entrees, my mom and I decided to split the 8 oz filet topped with gorgonzola cream (which I asked for on the side) and balsamic reduction. It’s served with parmesan polenta and ratatouille. As a sucker for mac and cheese, I suggested we also split the four cheese macaroni.

They split both dishes for us in the kitchen (more brownie points!) and we dug in.  The filet was incredibly tender and flavorful, while the polenta and ratatouille complemented the steak perfectly.The four cheese mac, however, was just alright. I really liked the fried kale that came on top but the dish definitely could’ve used more flavor, particularly more truffle oil which had enticed me to order it.

melange

Photo courtesy of Mélange

Finally, the waiter came over with a tray of tiny but fabulous looking desserts. They were all very mini, which was great because after a big meal, all I wanted was a little taste. There were different types of parfaits, crème brulees and pastries, as well as home made ice creams. I got a single scoop of their vanilla ice cream and it hit the spot.

While Mélange is on the pricy side, I thought it was well worth it. It’s the perfect place to go with your parents, for graduation, or on a date for a special occasion.

Expensive

Hours: Mon-Wed 4 pm – 11 pm, Thurs-Sat 4 pm – 2 am, Closed Sunday