Mango’s warm atmosphere and scrumptious Peruvian cuisine lie just a seven minute walk from the Convention Center MetroLink station. The dress code is nice but relaxed to match its casually sophisticated interior. If not for the good vibes, go for the good food. As fellow happy diner commented, “Can we just talk about how the food makes us do something we never do: shut the f*ck up.”

Photo by Antonia Drummond

Although the servers provide salsa verde and fried plantains chips for the table, you should order plenty of appetizers. You’ll want to try them all, but you can’t go wrong with fresh Ceviche de Pescado with halibut, shrimp, octopus and mussels. Other favorites include the Palta Rellena, a creamy avocado stuffed with a vegetable salad on a bed of lettuce and Antichuchos (tender beef heart skewers served with dipping sauce and Adean corn). A pitcher of house made red sangria never hurts, either.

Photo by Antonia Drummond

Photo by Antonia Drummond

Photo by Antonia Drummond

Photo by Antonia Drummond

Dinner options range from scallops to pasta to fried plantains.  The Langostinos al Ano Pasta, with shrimp, shaved garlic, bow tie past and aji rocotto cream sauce is rich but not heavy.  Light sweetness from the creamy red sauce mixes seamlessly with salt from the shrimp and spice from the garlic.

Photo by Antonia Drummond

Photo by Antonia Drummond

Leave room for dessert because the sweet Pionono, a soft sponge cake rolled in manjarblanco and dusted with powdered sugar is a better way to end your night than any post-game.

Photo by Antonia Drummond

While Mango’s soft Peruvian music, candles, red and green color scheme and wooden ceiling are perfect for a date night, the entire front room is dedicated to a sports bar – television and all – which surprisingly does not ruin the mood. Although prices range outside of a typical student budget, Mango is a great place to treat yourself when you’re feeling a little fancy and don’t want to deal with a cab.

Photo by Antonia Drummond

Expensive

Hours of Operation: 
Mon-Thu: 11am-10pm
Fri-Sat: 11am-11pm/bar open til 1:30am
Sun: 4pm-9pm

Location: 1101 Lucas Ave, Saint Louis, MO, 63101-1159

Photo Courtesy of ACUI