Mamie Clafoutis is one of those places on St. Denis that is very unassuming and extremely easy to overlook.  However, as you walk into the store and take a whiff of the freshly baked croissants and breads, you will quickly come to realize you have found a slice of heaven.

Mamie Clafoutis

Photo by Helena Lin

Every time I go to Mamie, I can’t help but want to order every item available as I work my way along the display cases of sandwiches, pastries, and breads… #TheStrugglesAreReal

Mamie Clafoutis

Photo by Helena Lin

On my recent trip to the boulangerie, I was greeted by a friendly barista named Audréanne. As I paced back and forth trying to figure out what to order, she pointed out some of her favourite items to me. Here is the list of our favourite items.

1. Bretzel – $2.40

Mamie Clafoutis

Photo by Helena Lin

The first time I bit into a bretzel, my life was instantly changed. If Joey Tribbiani had been with me, he would have said “Bagel? Good. Pretzel? Good. Cheese bread? Good. Bretzel? GOOOD…”

2. “Oh Mon Dieu” – $3.20

Mamie 6

There’s a reason this chocolatine is named “Oh My God” in French — it is a buttery, flaky pastry filled with chocolate ganache and topped with generous amounts of drizzled chocolate and powdered sugar.

3. Butter Croissant – $1.55

Mamie Clafoutis

Photo by Helena Lin

The croissants at Mamie Clafoutis are always sublime. Perfectly flaky on the outside, while unbelievably buttery and tender on the inside. These are definitely as good if not better than the croissants I had in France this summer.

4. Almond Croissant – $3.20

Mamie Clafoutis

Photo by Helena Lin

As if the croissants aren’t satisfying enough already, Mamie also sells almond croissants. I especially like the almond croissants here because the sweetness of the almond cream doesn’t mask the flavour of the almonds itself.

#SpoonTip: miniature versions of the croissants (photographed for both croissants above) are available at $1.20 for those of you who are indecisive and want multiple types of croissants.

5. Pistachio Croissant – $3.20

Mamie 10

In addition to to almond croissants, there are also pistachio croissants available at the boulangerie. The flavour of pistachio is delicate but extremely nutty and flavourful.

6. Apple Turnover – $2.85Mamie 9

Hidden in the middle of what seems like thousands of layers of light and flaky pastry is a tart apple compote. When eaten warm, these turnovers warm the soul.

7. Blue Cheese and Walnut Bread – $3.70

Mamie Clafoutis

Photo by Helena Lin

As I was talking with Audréanne she pointed out that her favourite item at the boulangerie is this blue cheese and walnut bread. After tasting it I now know why—the bread was crusty, the blue cheese was strong, however the walnut married all the flavours together beautifully.

Mamie Clafoutis

Photo by Helena Lin

If you still aren’t convinced, stop by Mamie Clafoutis yourself and feast your eyes on the multitude of delectable treats available. I have yet to try everything on the menu but definitely plan to add that to my bucket list.