Glaze

Photo courtesy of Glaze Teriyaki on Facebook

There is Whole Foods; there are comfort foods; and then there is their love child: Glaze, Seattle-style teriyaki’s new home in Madison.

What is Seattle-style teriyaki (besides delicious)? We’ll refer to Glaze for their definition:

“Seattle-style teriyaki combines the best flavors and ingredients of Korean- and Japanese-style teriyaki. It was born in the 1970s when Seattle had a boom in Korean immigration, and it’s been a way of life ever since.”

Glaze

Photo courtesy of glazeteriyaki.com

Until now, Glaze has only touched down in major urban areas (New York, San Francisco, and Chicago); but, given Madison’s food-fusion and local lifestyle, it’s no wonder Glaze chose to settle on State next to the food carts.

Glaze

The space, located within reach of the Hub, is not just new: it’s fresh. Soft light, wood finishings, and a touch of greenery keep the interior feeling modern, but not too metropolitan for Madison. So much so, in fact, that the local love could be seen within seconds of opening. Through utilizing social media, Glaze owners declared that all Sconnies were welcome to enjoy their first dish at whatever price they desired to pay, with all proceeds donated to Olbrich Gardens, encouraging customers to swarm to the community-centered kitchen:

Glaze

Anticipation was so high (and smelled so satisfying) that the line snaked down State Street; according to postings in the restaurant’s event page, some waited up to three hours for their food–but, it was well worth the wait.

Similarly to Forage, Glaze keeps its menu fairly simple: quality over quantity. Within a menu made up of locally sourced ingredients and whole foods, diners can choose and customize their own teriyaki plate or salad bowl. Protein + (Rice) + Dressing=deliciousness.

Glaze

Photo by Elise Schimke

For my first ever sampling of Glaze-d goodness, I chose a salad with chicken and ginger carrot dressing. The sweet and savory chicken carried a great just-grilled taste, and balanced perfectly alongside the subtly spicy dressing. Unlike the greasy, artificial flavor-laden Chinese takeout that can leave more sickness than satisfaction, this is the perfect, light option for those looking to fill that Asian-inspired craving, no matter the size.

Glaze

Photo courtesy of @glazeteriyaki on Instagram

For those whose tanks are on empty, combo plates with additional entrees or sides are a great option; for those who just want a taste of teriyaki, sides such as the spicy-yaks chicken wings or crispy gyoza dumplings are great pick-me-ups.

An international array of flavors tucked right around the corner from the Terrace, Glaze has become part of Madison’s local lifestyle in a matter of moments.