When people think of “Chicago food,” it’s not often that lobster that comes to mind. And it’s really a shame – lobster is great and Chicago has an incredible lobster place: Da Lobsta. They specialize in lobster rolls and in addition to two locations in Chicago, they also have a food truck that you can track on Twitter or Facebook. If you haven’t already, you’re definitely going to want to make a trip to find them. Still skeptical? Read on.

Lobsta

Photo courtesy of Patrick Fahrner Photography

The lobster, which is, you know, an important part of lobster rolls, was very well cooked. It was not overly seasoned and could be served either warm or cold. Traditionally, lobster rolls are served cold with warm, melty butter on top. Obviously, you do what you want – but I wanted that traditional lobster roll experience. And I don’t want to brag, but I think I made a pretty good decision.

The bread that the lobster rolls came in was literally perfect. It’s described as a New England style bun, and it very well might be, but to me it seemed like a Texas-toast sort of bread, perfectly crispy on the outside but not unpleasantly crunchy like some buns end up being. It was buttery and beautiful and just overall I wish all my buns were this bun.

Lobsta

The tarragon mayo that accompanied the Traditional and the Surf N Turf rolls was a fantastic sweetness to cut into the savory of the overall bite. I didn’t know tarragon mayo was a thing, and I was a little skeptical, but it was pretty dang good. Definitely give it a try.

I didn’t get to try the grilled cheese but look at it. It simply has to be amazing.

Lobsta

I did, however, order a side of lobster mac and cheese, which is just one of the greatest foods. It’s everything you love about mac and cheese plus lobster plus breadcrumbs plus the illusion that you’re an ~adult~ who does fancy things like eat lobster casually.

Da Lobsta’s lobster mac and cheese was no exception. Sitting in its River North location, listening to its bumpin’ soundtracks, and staring at its TV with testimonials from its happy customers, I ate my lobster mac in the happiest of moods.

Lobsta

Da Lobsta is truly a gem in this city of hot dogs, Italian beefs and deep-dish pizza. Not to say that these quintessential Chicago foods are bad, but it’s time we get a little variety in there. Maybe it’s time that lobster, and consequently Da Lobsta, becomes that new Chicago classic.