Little Gem Belgian Waffles just opened November 2015, and they’re bringing hot, freshly-made, authentic Liege waffles to Berkeley’s Southside. Since we’re always hungry for sweet breakfast foods, Spoon ventured to their soft opening on November 15, 2015 to get the first taste of their scrumptious waffles.

waffles

Photo by Irene Kim

First, some background. Liege waffles hail from the city of Liege, Belgium. Unlike their Brussels counterpart (AKA the “Belgian” waffle in the U.S.), these waffles are made from a risen dough (think biscuit dough) instead of a batter, giving them a softer texture. Liege waffles are also made with Pearl sugar, large grains of sugar that melt into pockets of caramelized crunch when the waffles are cooked in the waffle iron.

waffles

Photo by Irene Kim

Little Gem does more than just mere justice to Liege waffles. The exterior of the waffle is crunchy and covered with caramelized sugar as if it were creme brulée, while the inside is delightfully chewy and fluffy like a croissant. There’s also just enough sugar in the waffle to make it sweet but not cloying.

waffles

Photo by Irene Kim

As if the waffle wasn’t tasty enough by itself, Little Gem also offers a wonderful set of toppings to take your waffles to the next level. Their current menu will be expanded before their grand opening, but it already provides delicious choices.

waffles

Photo by Luna Zhang

Sweet toppings include a dollop of Nutella, a TCHO chocolate drizzle and their special Creme de Gem whipped cream. For more savory fare, you can also choose to top your waffle with pesto or feta cheese.

waffles

Photo by Luna Zhang

Spoon favorites include the Churrofles, a liberal dusting of cinnamon and sugar that makes the waffle a delicious hybrid of sweetness and spice, and Speculoos, a spread of cookie butter that doubles the waffle’s caramelized flavor and crunch with its tiny cookie bits. And don’t forget the Maple Bacon, a perfect balance of sweet and salty, with diced bacon and maple syrup.

waffles

Photo by Luna Zhang

Little Gem also serves scoops of Three Twins ice cream as a cool and creamy compliment to your warm and rich waffle.

waffles

Photo by Luna Zhang

As a sweet breakfast or decadent dessert, these waffles are delicious for any time of the day. Just be warned that you might leave with more than one.