With 7 other locations around the St. Louis area, Kaldi's Coffee has permeated into the community as a well-known, high-quality roasting company. It was no surprise that when we heard about Kaldi's newest location in the Gerhart Lofts, just a stone throw from SLU's campus, we were thrilled. So, as soon as I heard this celebratory news, I knew that I had to check it out for myself and add it to this long list of places to eat and drink near SLU.

The shop has been bustling with patrons ever since it's long awaited opening, and for good reason. After checking out the addition to the long list of St. Louis coffee shops for myself, it's easy to understand why the space has gained instant popularity. 

The Environment

When I walked into Kaldi’s, the first thing that struck me was the gorgeous decoration. Minimalistic, yet modern, with an amazing aesthetic — the place is perfect for anyone looking for a place to hang out with friends or simply escape for a little bit (which I like to do, a lot). It is surrounded by windows, small couches for the lucky ones who get there first, outdoor seating, and even a bar option for those who enjoy watching the art of barista-ing. Oh, and did I mention they have free wi-fi?

cake
Lissane Kafie

I walked up to the cashier (who, by the way, was genuinely very nice) and read through their extensive menu. I ordered my almond milk cappuccino and looked for a spot to sit next to a window, to get the best lighting for pictures of course. The barista handed me a wooden square plate with a glass of tonic water and a miniature spoon with three dark-chocolate covered coffee beans to pair with my cappuccino. A different, yet unique experience to my regular order at Starbucks, that’s for sure.

Not only was I impressed by the presentation of my order, but also with the amazing taste of it. The cappuccino was perfectly foamy, but still had a perfect milk to coffee ratio. What else can a girl ask for? 

cappuccino, milk, espresso, coffee
Lissane Kafie

The Food

Their extensive menu  is ideal for anybody looking for a quick bite to eat or maybe just forgot to pack their studying fuel. From their crust-less quiche (vegetarian and gluten free) to their basil avocado sandwich (vegetarian), their breakfast items, sandwiches, wraps, and salads are perfect for any time of the day (featured in the picture: pineapple kale smoothie and basil avocado sandwich). And yes, they serve breakfast all day. 

sandwich, chicken
dena dianati

The Desserts

But wait, it gets better. Most of their desserts are baked in their very own kitchen, fresh every morning. Scones, muffins, cookies, bagels, and chocolate croissants to name a few. You name it, they have it. They even offer a variety of energy bites if you’re looking for something slightly healthier. 

cookie, chocolate, cake
Lissane Kafie

I would definitely recommend trying their apple scone (featured below). In one bite, pumpkin spice meets apple pie with a dollop of cream cheese frosting to top it off. 

pumpkin, cake, carrot
Lissane Kafie

The Coffee

Now, the moment you’ve all been waiting for. Let’s get to the dirty talk. Kaldi’s coffee is rich, but it also offers the perfect amount of bitterness. Which, for a cup of coffee, that’s exactly what you should be looking for. The latte art is on point, so whether you order a house-made vanilla latte or a masala chai latte, it will be delivered to you in a very artistic manner.  

mocha, milk, espresso, cappuccino, coffee
Jackie Decoster

And if you’re not a coffee person, do not fear. Kaldi’s also offers a variety of frozen drinks, smoothies, and batch brewed teas that will hit the spot for you. Featured below is the firepot matcha banana peach. 

sweet, milk, juice, smoothie
Lissane Kafie

If you’re looking to switch up your daily Starbucks and hit a hip new place around Saint Louis University’s campus, Kaldi’s Coffee is just the place you need. Now, I may be biased since I already told you all of my favorite things about this place in this article, but if you want to experience a place with great aesthetic, coffee, and food, please, go check it out for yourselves.