Oh, the dreaded college search… who says this process can’t be fun? Especially once food is added into the mix. A better way to think of the college search is to consider it a food tour. With nationally ranked academic programs and a city like none other, it was inevitable that the University of Texas was a must-see destination on my college tour list.

My mom and I embarked on our journey to Austin, Texas assuming we would only find barbecue, but that wasn’t the case. So put on your cowboy boots and get ready to experience the incredible campus and delicious restaurants.

Austin Java

Austin

Photo courtesy of @austinszn on Instagram

When in Austin, eat as the Austinites do. Austin Java embodies the true Austin spirit with its decor, along with mouthwatering Austin breakfast classics. This go-to spot offers quite a variety ranging from finger-licking authentic breakfast tacos to custom authentic cheesy custom topped omelettes and an endless selection of pancake possibilities. This place will leave your stomach full and mind ready to conquer the university tour that awaits.

Blenders and Bowls

Austin

Photo courtesy of @blendersandbowls on Instagram

It is no doubt that Austin is up to date with the açaí bowl craze. This adorable spot is loved by UT Austin students; once you step in, you will understand why. The menu at Blenders and Bowls has a wide selection of bowls to die for, my personal favorite is the beach bowl, including nutrient packed aç, hot pink pitaya, fresh berries, creamy almond milk and rich peanut butter. This post-tour pick-me-up will most definitely be Instagram worthy.

Perla’s

Austin

Photo courtesy of @lesarossick on Instagram

After a nonstop day of viewing the magnificent campus and purchasing an abundance of UT Austin clothing, it’s dinner time. With its beautiful atmosphere, Perla’s is a seafood lover’s dream. Here, there are endless possibilities from crispy Texas gulf snapper to seared rare spiced ahi tuna to wood grilled creole oysters, and of course one must dive into their famous gooey lobster mac and cheese. When in Austin, this is a meal not to be missed.

Lick Honest Ice Creams

Austin

Photo courtesy of @lickicecreams on Instagram

No matter how full the day has left you – dessert is a must. What better way to experience Texas than by tasting its local seasonal ingredients in the form of incredible ice cream? At Lick Honest Ice Cream, they offer one of a kind flavors including roasted beets & fresh mint, goat cheese, thyme & honey and dark chocolate, olive oil & sea salt.

Lick Honest Ice Creams is pure and made with non-artificial flavors or colorings. This means you don’t have to feel guilty about all the food you’ve eaten while touring since your dessert is healthy… right?

Austin

Photo by Ally Gillman

My visit at the University of Texas at Austin with my mom was one for the books. Not only did the food impress me, but the overall spirit and campus was outstanding. Hook ’em Horns!