I have entered the DUC dozens of times and have encountered this all too often scenario: I get to the grill. There is zero grilled chicken left. I then attempt to steal from the Kosher and Gluten Free sections and get caught. Finally I opt out of dinner and try to get a satisfying bowl of soft serve ice cream, but obviously the machine is turned off.

DUC

Photo by Morgan Weinstein

Does this sound like you? Are you a lost freshman entangled with these dilemmas, who now relies on Easy Mac and Nutella as your staple foods?

Feel lost no further. I have spoken to one of the DUC’s chefs, Marcus, and he has given me the inside scoop on the very best times to go the DUC so that you leave full and satisfied.

DUC

Photo by Morgan Weinstein

If you like your food hot and steamy, Marcus recommends showing up at 7:45am-8:30am for breakfast, 11:15am for lunch and 4:45-5:15pm for dinner.

Why are these times considered hot commodities? These times are based on the DUC’s transition times between meals. Eating at this time almost guarantees you food that is straight off of the grill or out of the oven. You’ll be getting quality and quantity, as most people haven’t demolished the food yet.

DUC

Photo by Morgan Weinstein

If you’re a social butterfly and value friends over fresh food, Marcus recommends showing up at 9:30am-11am for breakfast, 12:00pm for the first wave of lunch, 2:15pm for the second wave and 7:15 for the primetime dinner socializing.

Why are these times considered social hours? These times are based on what Marcus calls rush hours. He won’t guarantee that your favorite foods will still be there, but at least 10 of your friends will.

Some other key DUC tips I’ve learned as a lost freshman this semester might help enhance your dining experience as well:

1. You can always ask for a veggie burger at the grill. Whether you’re a vegetarian or not, this is definitely something you should try.

DUC

Photo by Morgan Weinstein

2. Get turkey from the deli station and add it to your salad creation for protein.

3. Add cereal to your frozen yogurt because more toppings are always better.

4. Take some fruit for the road and keep it in your room for a healthy snack or breakfast addition.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned this semester, it’s that no matter how hard you try to avoid it, the DUC is the most convenient and affordable option. With help from Marcus and me, hopefully you can find the solution that makes the DUC work for you.