The Global Peace Exchange (GPE) is an FSU student-run international development organization that is seeking to establish connections with fellow NGOs in developing countries. This organization encourages students to develop and participate in community service projects in these countries over their summer breaks. Its focus is on humanitarian work, sustainable development, global impact, and cultural exchange.

cultural cuisine

Photo by Jessica Liu

It was founded at Florida State in 2006 and has since had very successful and impacting trips. This past summer the group was able to go to Rwanda, Ghana, and Cambodia and look forward to going to all three of these places again this summer with the addition of Nepal. If you’re interested in learning more about GPE check out their website and Facebook page. The GPE often partners with the FSU Center for Global Engagement to put on events such as Global Cafe: A Taste of World Cuisine and Cultures.

cultural cuisine

Photo by Jessica Liu

Normally I’m a pretty picky eater, but I always love trying new things. So when the Global Cafe rolled around this past Friday with Cambodian cuisine I was ready to expand my pallet (and also not going to lie, I was a little nervous). Needless to say it was one of the coolest experiences I’ve had at FSU and I look forward to going to future Global Cafes. About every month they have different cuisines from around the world (the next one is Vietnamese).

cultural cuisine

Photo by Jessica Liu

Right off the bat I could tell this was a popular event, with people lined up from the start of lunch at 11:30 am. After getting my ticket I was seated by members of the organization acting as hosts. This unique experience was made even better when we were sat at a table with other people (adding to the friendly and engaging atmosphere). When asking my table mates how they heard about the event they shared that their roommate was a part of GPE. Also you’ve probably seen the multiple Global Cafe poster’s around campus advertising the next authentic cultural cuisine.

cultural cuisine

Photo by Jessica Liu

The server brought the first course of three, a tropical fruit salad. This colorful fruit salad featured pineapple and banana flavors which blended together into a tangy and sweet medley.

cultural cuisine

Photo by Jessica Liu

Next up was the Bai Sach Chrouk, a pork marinated in coconut milk, served with Jasmine rice and Bok Lahong, a green papaya salad. The pork had a sweet hint of coconut that was enhanced by the coconut shavings sprinkled on top. The starch rice and bright salad made not only a pretty plate but also a diverse group of tastes on one plate.

#SpoonTip: No worries for my vegetarian friends, there is a veggie-friendly option available.

cultural cuisine

Photo by Jessica Liu

The final serving was Num Tirk Doung a coconut pound cake, which rounded out this meal with a sweet, fluffy carb. If, like me, you know nothing about Cambodian food you can educate yourself with these 13 Must-Know Cambodian Dishes.

cultural cuisine

Photo by Jessica Liu

Overall I had an awesome and unique experience at Global Cafe: Cambodia and I look forward to trying new foods through this program in the future. More importantly for only 7 dollars I was able to try something new, meet new people, and help out an important organization on campus. With Global Cafe acting as a fundraiser for volunteer service abroad, you can feel confident knowing your money is not only going to good food but also students just like you.

cultural cuisine

Photo by Jessica Liu

#SpoonTip: Keep your eye out for the next Global Café with tastes of Vietnam on Friday, February 5, 2016 at the Globe Dining Room, 11:30 am until the food runs out!