It seems like the month of August gets hotter every year, which is why we went to Hartzell’s Ice Cream every chance we got this fall. Now that the weather’s getting colder, you would think that our ice cream cravings would have dwindled, but alas, we can’t help and drop by to get a scoop on the weekends. Needless to say, we’re kind of Hartzell’s addicts at Spoon IU.

One of the main reasons we love going to Hartzell’s is because the ice cream flavors rotate on a day-to-day basis. While we all have our own personal favorites (ahem… chocolate), we make it a point to try a new flavor whenever we visit this Bloomington original.

Right now Hartzell’s is featuring some bomb flavors that everyone has to try before they’re gone. Apple Cider and Salted Caramel are some of our personal faves, but their Apple Butter Rummy Pecan Ice Cream is one of the most popular, and most unique flavors currently chilling in Hartzell’s freezers. It’s so popular that it was chosen as the flavor for Indiana in Scoop Adventures: The Best Ice Cream of the 50 States. Represent!

Hartzell's

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

Other one-of-a-kind flavors include Red Wine Blueberry and Vanilla Vodka. For you less adventurous ice cream lover’s out there, Hartzell’s still has the classics by the scoop or soft serve.

My advice to you is this: don’t be afraid of new flavors of ice cream. The employees behind the ice cream counter are more than willing to give you samples, and I mean, come on, where else will you get to eat something as unique and amazing as Thai Peanut, Ginger, and Chili Pepper ice cream.

Hartzell's

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

For those of you who want a bit of decadence in your life but can’t commit to a sugar-overload or are lactose intolerant, Hartzell’s also offers Carbolite, which is a water and whey-based ice cream that’s lactose free and sweetened with Splenda. Or if you’re wanting something other than plain ice cream, you can get nonfat frozen yogurt, smoothies, slush puppies, parfaits or a spinner with any of the 58 mix-ins of your choice.

Hartzell's

Photo by Natsuko Mazany

Basically, if you’ve got a major hankering for ice cream, Hartzell’s is the place to go to satisfy your sweet tooth. Make sure you follow Hartzell’s Ice Cream on Facebook and Twitter to get all your ice cream updates.

cheap

Location:
107 N. Dunn St.
Hours of Operation: Monday—3:30-11pm, Tuesday-Saturday—11:30am-11pm, Sunday—noon-11pm