I had Hai expectations. Who wouldn’t after hearing all the hype about the famous sushi burrito hybrid? I couldn’t wait to visit the newly opened Hai Street Kitchen (and, of course, to add yet another sushirrito Instagram to the abundant coalition).

So, the restaurant. Although it is small with limited indoor seating, what it lacks in space it makes up for in flavor. Picture Chipotle or Sweetgreen but instead of Mexican food and salads,  the assembly line set-up serves Asian-style dishes. You can either order off the signature menu or get creative and choose your own ingredients.

First you have to choose between a burrito, rice bowl or salad. Second, add your protein —there’s raw fish for sushi lovers and meats for classic burrito lovers plus grilled veggies in case animal protein’s not your thing. Next come the homemade sauces, which are very diverse (spicy mayo vs. tomatillo salsa) for whatever type of cuisine suits your mood. Then add up to four vegetables and top it off with a crunch element (aka fried garlic or shallots). I tried the delicious Mexicana burrito with pork belly, tomatillo salsa, spring mix, carrot, sautéed onion and green papaya salad. My only complaint: the burrito kept falling apart. Even still, Hai Street serves items for less than $9 and is definitely worth another visit.

Hai Street kitchen

Photo by Genny Liebes

cheap

Location: 32 South 18th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103.
Hours of Operation: Mon-Sun: 11am-9pm.