Half off specialty rolls every Tuesday and Thursday? I think yes. Sushi Don is located in downtown Lafayette, just minutes from Purdue’s beautiful campus. Their impressive menu includes both Japanese and Korean specialties, ranging from a variety of traditional sushi rolls and classic maki rolls, to sizzling bibimbap and mouth-watering Korean BBQ.

Atmosphere

Walking into Sushi Don, the atmosphere was pretty lively. It was definitely crowded, but not too crowded, and provided a nice ambience to casually enjoy our meal. While waiting and seated I could see the sushi bar preparing delicate rolls one after another with expertise.

It’s casual enough to wear sweatpants but also it’s a good date place. There is definitely no pressure to dress fancy. I’m also making a point to take my parents here when they visit… I mean, who doesn’t love sushi?

Rating: 4/5

Food

Sushi

Photo By: Jesse Palma

Before the sushi arrived, we were kindly given miso soup and salad to munch on in efforts to take our attention away from our growling stomachs. The wait was not long at all despite the amount of people eating there, which left me very impressed. The miso soup had a mouth-watering umami flavor I just can’t get enough of.

**Spoon Tip: Many Japanese, and even some Korean restaurants often serve miso soup and salad as a starter.

First came the Korean Fried Chicken with KFC sauce. These wings were so crispy on the outside and the gloriously vibrant, red, thick, and sticky sauce was an intense combination of sweet and spicy. The 10 wings were reasonably priced at $12 and they also had other sizes to suit your crowd of people, regardless of size or hunger.

** The waiter told us the KFC sauce was the most popular, and to this we concur.

Sushi

Photo By: Jesse Palma

Shortly after, the sushi arrived. From the left to right the rolls in the image below are as listed: Red Dragon, Ultimate Dragon Roll, California Roll, Red Dragon Roll, Spider Roll, Spicy Salmon Roll, Super Crazy Roll (one roll not pictured; the spicy tuna roll).

Sushi

Photo By: Jesse Palma

The rolls were intricately placed onto the platter like a painting; it was such a beautiful blend of colors, textures, and detail. Even the simple California roll was a flavorful combination of crunchy cucumber, melt-in-your mouth avocados and delicious soft crab. The Spider Roll was a standout and the soft shell crab was expertly fried to golden perfection, neatly tucked with fresh avocado in a bed of sticky rice and seaweed. Honestly, every bite couldn’t have been more perfect. Who doesn’t like fried crab… or fried anything?

Sushi

Photo By: Jesse Palma

Time for the grand finale… the Super OMG Roll. This roll had everything ever needed in a sushi roll. The flames were mesmerizing as the top of the sushi was sizzling and glistening. The picture says it all. Need I say more?

Rating: 5/5

Pricing

Sushi Don has a too-good-to-be-true deal every Tuesday and Thursday where specialty rolls and regular rolls are half off. It was an offer I could not pass up so I took full advantage of it, and I don’t regret it for even a second.

Luckily, the regular rolls were all under $10. Even the California Roll was originally a mere $5 but only $2.50 after the discount! This half-off deal was definitely manageable for the average student on a budget. And even treating yourself to a fancy roll or two wouldn’t break the bank like those Starbucks Frappuccinos tend to.

Rating: 4/5

Overall

Sushi

GIF curtosey of giphy.com

Sushi Don is definitely is a strong competitor for good sushi in the Lafayette area. Finding fresh sushi for a reasonable price, especially in the Midwest, is always a challenge. They did not lack quality or quantity as the rolls were huge. Someone on a college budget, like me, appreciates Sushi Don to cover my occasional feel for Japanese and Korean cuisine. I will be coming back soon, Sushi Don, you can count on it.