GOOD MORNING, BALTIMORE! We all know the song, from John Walter’s Baltimore-set musical hit Hairspray!. But for many college students, there’s nothing more oxymoronic than “good morning.”

We’ve all logged those late-night library hours while getting dirty looks when we open crinkly packaging and chew loudly (check out these library approved snacks). The crazy hours we college kids thrive on make morning classes a struggle, to say the least.

Fortunately for Loyola, coffee is having a serious moment– and not just any coffee. Local brands are moving into the spotlight and local businesses are stocking up on ‘em. Now it’s never been easier to self-care through self-caffeination.

And that’s not the only benefit. As consumers, we have the ability to empower others. By supporting local shops and farmer’s markets, our morning coffee is not only a source of personal sustenance, but a tool for sustainable practice in the greater Baltimore community.

What exactly is sustainable eating? Check out this article that explains it perfectly. Here’s some approved-by-me, soon-to-be favorite sustainable coffee shops for you:

Atwater’s Market at Belvedere Square

coffee

Photo by Lauren Anzevino

I’m a self-proclaimed Atwater-ite (Atwateran? Atwaterphile? I’m taking suggestions). Not only is Atwater’s super close to campus, they’re always stocked up on Counter Culture, direct trade coffee in numerous blends and roast options. Plus they make a mean cappuccino. Take yourself and your joe across the street to the Senator Theatre for a movie and make a day of it.

Red Emma’s

coffee

Photo by Lauren Anzevino

Red Emma’s website says they are “dedicated to autonomy, sustainability, participatory democracy, and solidarity.” That pretty much sums it up. Close to Johns Hopkins, MICA, and Penn Station, Red Emma’s is a great place to read a book or make a new friend. Or both.

Charmington’s

coffee

Photo by Lauren Anzevino

Charmington’s is awesome because, like Atwater’s, Counter-Culture is the name of the game. The atmosphere is cozy and laid back, with the added bonus of fast, reliable, free Wi-Fi. If there’s one thing college students love it’s free Wi-Fi, or anything that’s free for that matter.

Zeke’s

coffee

Photo by Lauren Anzevino

Made in Baltimore. Sold on campus in Iggy’s. No excuses.

Kicking careless consumption habits does require a little effort, but nothing a college brain and a reusable mug can’t handle. So embrace the power of your own wallet, burst that campus bubble, and shop local. And if you get to meet a new friend in Baltimore during the process, I’d say that’s a good morning indeed.

Craving a caffeine kick? Check these out: