On April 23rd, 2016, Gatos y Galletas had their grand opening as the first cat cafe in Albuquerque. According to their website, “The purpose of this cat cafe is for people to enjoy great food and yoga in the company of sweet and loving cats, and to contribute something special and unique to the wonderful Albuquerque community.”

Recently, I visited this establishment, and I genuinely enjoyed my time. For those who are interested in cats, or for those who are hesitant about visiting, here are five reasons why Gatos y Galletas might be the best cafe in Albuquerque:

1. The Cats

Gatos y Galletas

Photo by Sharmaine Ong

Every one of the cats at this cafe are incredibly sweet and chill. This little fella’s name is John, and he is such a cutie-pie. For twenty minutes, I sat on the floor and rubbed his chest. Honestly, I wanted to take him home with me because he was an amazing cuddler.

2. The Cats are Adoptable

Gatos y Galletas

Photo by Sharmaine Ong

All of the cats at this establishment are adoptable. Isn’t that great? If you fall in love with one of them, you can bring that cat home! Not only do these cats have the chance to find a forever home, cat lovers can find a forever friend.

3. The Vegan Options

Gatos y Galletas

Photo by Sharmaine Ong

Aside from Gatos y Galletas offering a relaxing space filled with cats, they also offer a variety of vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free food options. During my visit, I tried a delectable vegan chocolate cupcake. I have to say, it was better than most cupcakes I’ve ever tasted.

Gatos y Galletas

Photo by Sharmaine Ong

In the past, I’ve tried a couple of vegan and gluten-free dishes and, in all honesty, I wasn’t a fan. But, the cupcake I tried here was so moist and flavorful, I wouldn’t have thought it was made without gluten or animal products.

I didn’t taste the other food items, but from the smiles and looks of delight from the other customers, it seemed as if they were satisfied with their choices.

4. The Coffee

Gatos y Galletas

Photo by Sharmaine Ong

As a coffee addict who loves cats, Gatos y Galletas’s coffee menu won me over. If you’re a fan of coffee and cat puns, you’d probably enjoy the punny menu. My favorite pun menu items are the “Meowcha” and the “Cappurrcinno”.

For $3.00, I purchased a “Pawtee” (latte) and it was pretty good. It may have tasted better because I had cute kitties surrounding me, but the flavor of the coffee was light and subtle. It matched the calm and relaxing atmosphere of the cafe.

5. The Atmosphere

Gatos y Galletas

Photo by Sharmaine Ong

The atmosphere at Gatos y Galletas is purrfect for anyone who likes hanging out with cats and who likes to leisure in cafes. If you don’t want to pet the cats, you can sit at a table and watch them from afar. Or you can bring a book and read with a furry friend.

When I visited, I met a lady who was writing a paper. She told me that she decided to visit Gatos y Galletas because she thought it would be a good place to find inspiration for her work. For any college student who’s interested in writing their long papers in the company of cats, this place might be the best place for you.

Gatos y Galletas

Photo by Sharmaine Ong

Gatos y Galletas is one of the most unique cafes in Albuquerque. How many places in New Mexico allow customers to eat their meals with cats? One, only one.

If you have the chance, visit this place because it will not disappoint.