Balance! Energy! Immunity! Are they power ups in a video game? Is it a yoga advertisement? The picture gave it away didn’t it? Yes, we’re talking stir-fry. Specifically, Mein Street’s sensationally labeled blends of sizzling stir-ins at Armstrong.

Ever wondered if there’s proof to the pudding or if it’s all just pseudo-food science? Well Spoon went ahead and did your foodie homework for you (aren’t we nice?), so the true meaning of energizing stir-fry will cease to keep you awake at night.

If that wasn’t enough, we also added a couple of other nutritionist tricks beyond the blend, regarding Mein Street’s customization options to keep you at the top of your health game.

Immunity Blend

stir-fry

Photo by Ryan Terhune

Drop your chewy vitamins and power walk over to Armstrong, because they aren’t kidding around when they say immunity: literally every ingredient (except bean sprouts, whoops) contains vitamin C. Also great if you’re fighting off scurvy, but seriously, apparently thats a thing on college campuses now…?

Additional Perks

Bell peppers, broccoli, bok choy, carrots and pineapple also pack whopping doses of vitamin A, which in addition to its properties as an antioxidant, is clutch in maintaining eye health and low light vision. That compensates nicely for the never ending ocular strain of college (all nighter essay? Nah, I binge watched Lie To Me for the 5th time).

Beyond the Blend

Extra protein is a backdoor way of fighting off the Miami plague, so don’t be afraid to double down and add an egg to your order. That yolk is a potent dose of Vitamin A, E, and antioxidants, and the same goes for beef but with an additional boost of iron.

If you want to get old world, garlic has been an homeopathic cure-all for millennia and with good reason: it has antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal properties. Garlic breath will also substantially reduce your odds of contracting mono via make out session (although some Spoon members contend that garlic breath is scandalously sexy).

Energy Blend

stir-fry

Photo by Ryan Terhune

Iron rich veggies such as mushrooms, edamame, and snow peas help fight iron deficiency, a common source of fatigue. The blend is also high in protein (bok choy, broccoli, edamame, snow peas), a no brainer source of energy to help you drag yourself across campus.

Finally, the blend features a variety of B vitamins that stimulate your metabolism and facilitate energy conversion. So, if you’re looking to fit into last year’s jeans or cut back on your beer belly, this is the blend for you.

Additional Perks

Mushrooms are unusually rich in vitamin D, which make them great for supplementing your sunlight-deprived lifestyle of Netflix and daytime naps. Additionally, this blend is packed with Vitamins A and C, especially with broccoli, which adds immunity benefits.

Beyond the Blend

Energize your protein pick with eggs (rich in B12) to stimulate your metabolism, or if you’re looking to ace meatless Mondays, tofu is always a good choice. Spices like ginger and hot sauce stimulate your metabolism, so don’t be afraid to get friendly with the sriracha. High key though, spices have incredible health benefits and the right seasonings can fight everything from allergies to heart disease.

Balanced Blend

stir-fry

Photo by Ryan Terhune

Although Energy and Immunity already intersect in terms of benefits, the overlap doesn’t detract from this blend’s benefits. Its balanced label stems from dual doses of iron and protein (edamame) as well as an immunity perks of vitamins A and C (onions).

Many of the ingredients also offer all four of these benefits at once, such as carrots or bean sprouts. The blend also contains Vitamin D (mushrooms), potassium (water chestnuts), and B vitamins (baby corn). It’s the best of both worlds, like caffeinated cough syrup or Hannah Montana.

Additional Perks

Did we mention the balanced blend is like, #swole? Bean sprouts and snow peas are great sources of protein. Popeye didn’t pound whey shakes, he ate leafy greens; so follow suit and double down on those plant proteins.

Beyond the Blend

Remember how I mentioned that garlic is great for your immune system and that ginger stimulates your metabolism? Not to get super complicated out of nowhere, but if you put both in your stir fry, you get both benefits! Crazy, right? You’ll be a gastronomic mad scientist in no time. If you want another super pro tip, acidic food helps your body absorb iron and vitamin C, so to simultaneously conquer fatigue and the sniffles, ask for sweet and sour sauce.