Who doesn’t love waking up to a good, hearty pancake breakfast? Just off Preston Street, Flapjack’s Pancake Shack is definitely one of Ottawa’s food gems.

Flapjack's

Photo by Amanda Jeysing

This three-year-old establishment takes the pancake game to the next level with a variety of pancakes that are the epitome of Canadian comfort food and culture.

Flapjack's

Photo by Amanda Jeysing

I mean, its mascot logo is a lumberjack, guys. Really. It also proudly features its house-made Canadian maple syrup in a glass maple jug, which you can buy off the shelf. Flapjack’s interior is a spacious place for couples or a big group of people. Tables are also situated outside on the patio, and there’s no better time to take advantage of that than in the spring time and coming summer.

Now let’s talk about some pan-tastic food.

Flapjack's

Photo by Jordana Colomby

Just as the name implies, Flapjack’s specializes in a menu full of delicious and innovative pancake options. With a variety of Panwiches, Poutine, Lumbergers, Mashes, and Wraps, Flapjack’s is the pancake place in Ottawa. Really though, who can beat buttermilk pancake battered bacon? These are the fluffiest, lightest and cutest little pancakes you’ll ever eat. You can build your own pancakes exactly the way you want by choosing the batter, the fillings, and the toppings.

One of Flapjack’s highlights is their pancake poutine. Let me break this bad boy down for you. You know how delicious buttermilk pancakes are? Imagine buttermilk pancake battered sticks. Topped with house made maple-caramel sauce. And bacon crumble all over it. Yes, this is an actual thing.

Flapjack's

Photo by Amanda Jeysing

And what could be more Canadian than a bacon and maple syrup pancake pairing? Answer: nothing. But if you’re not in the mood to chew, fill up with a mason jar milkshake. They offer S’mores, maple, and even a blueberry vanilla pie flavoured shake. These half litre treats will surely satisfy that sweet tooth in the most Canadian way possible.

Flapjack's

Photo by Amanda Jeysing

If you’re a 90s kid, there’s a great chance you’ll appreciate the nostalgic vibe here. There is no bored-waiting-for-you-order at Flapjack’s because you’ll be entertained with a variety of childhood games. Our table consisted of Barrel of Monkeys and Brain Test to name a few.

Flapjack's

Photo by Amanda Jeysing

As an added bonus, they host cool events like Poets and Pancakes, and they even have themed weeks including poutine week, burger week, and the all important waffle fry week. Flapjack’s Pancake Shack is an Ottawa must-try for fresh comfort, so head on over to either their Preston Street location or their food truck in The Glebe.