There’s a cake. And then there’s a Jake.

Well, we all know what cakes are, those beautiful little/not-so-little soft and tender baked goodies that we all love to eat. We’ve had them in various forms, shapes, and sizes – the small little cupcakes, the bite-sized cake pops, and the huge round ones loaded with our favourite frosting. The good news is, that the dessert world has come out with a new version of our favourites! On top of being cakes, they also have a cool new name i.e. JAKE!

Jar cakes, more popularly known as Jakes, are the new “in” thing in town. I recently met them on my birthday – they had come to my house party all dressed up nicely! Basically, these jar cakes from Whipped bakery were a gift from my sister. So I had the opportunity of eating two jars of cake – Red Velvet and Mud Cake – myself! (Best birthday gift ever!) And then eventually, I ended up trying more of them. Here are my recommendations:

1. The Red Velvet Jake

Whipped

Photo courtesy of Whipped.in

Personally, it was one of the best red velvets I’ve ever had. The cake layer was soft and would melt in the mouth. The cream layer was frothy and smooth in terms of its texture and had a tinge of tanginess to it. The white cream blends well with the fluffy red cake to make an almost heavenly combination.

Moreover, the top layer was sprinkled generously with white chocolate chips – I had to eat them very carefully as I didn’t want to finish them too soon! And even though I wish there were more of these delicious white chocolate chips, I think the Red Velvet Jake is a must try. And to make the best out of it, micro it for 20 seconds before you eat.

2. The Mud Cake Jake

Whipped

Photo Courtesy of Whipped.in

This is also recommended for chocolate binging days. It’s loaded with chocolate in two forms – cream and cake. The cake part is moist and fluffy and makes you want to go for another bite. The cream layer is like a lighter version of mousse, which adds to the pure indulgence of the mud cake.

More than the Red Velvet, I’d recommend that one eats this a little heated up – for the chocolate slowly melts in your mouth, unravelling the different forms it has taken in the Jake. This one, though, has only one drawback – if you can’t take too much chocolate, you can’t take the Mud Jake, either. (But then again, what is ‘too much chocolate’?)

3. The Oreo Foreplay Jake

Whipped

Photo Courtesy of Whipped.in

The Oreo Crunch Jake is a one for those who like soft and crunchy elements together in their dessert. It opens with crumbled Oreo and a tempting rich cream design on top, which you will struggle to save until the end of the cake.

As we move further down the jar, we meet layers of vanilla sponge cake, more oreo cookies, and more rich cream. Towards the end though is what one will love the most – the crunchy cookie base.

4. The Mixed Berry Jake

Whipped

Photo Courtesy of whipped.in

The Mixed Berry contains layers of mixed berry pulp, vanilla sponge cake, and custard cream and is a must for those who like extra cream on their cake. The mixed berry pulp contains blueberry and strawberry pulp and is a perfect blend of the two. The custard cream and vanilla sponge elements complement each other well. However, I was looking for more pulp-filled layers in this one.

5. The Crunchy Coco Jake

Whipped

Photo Courtesy of Whipped.in

The Crunchy Coco, as described by Whipped themselves, is the perfect Jake for nut-lovers! It opens with a thick layer of caramelized nuts decorated with chocolate sauce, and as we dig deeper, we’ll be in for a surprise as this jake has the most variety of layers as compared to others.

It has layers of chocolate and vanilla sponge cake, which are in turn filled with caramelized nuts and chocolate truffle. And for a perfect ending, the bottom most layer is a crunchy choco-cookie base!

A common thing among all these Jakes is that one will want more and more of the top-most and the bottom-most layer. The fun, therefore, lies in saving the top-most layer and making it last until the end!